Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a wing that has no plate. It's a DiveRite TransPac with wing.

I only went that way because my BC died and the TransPac is a fully adjustable harness. It just happens to mate up to a wing type bladder. It is great underwater and provides almost perfect ballance.

The down side is if you have a long surface swim or you are stuck with a diver that takes a lot of time on the surface. It tends to push one over on to thir face on the surface which I dislike, but I didn't buy it for finning around on the surface.

A positive is that when I strip it down all the way it is way eaisier to pack than any conventional BC. One harness and a flat bladder.

I apologize if the wording of my question caused any controversy. I guess that I confused experienced divers as technical divers. I will do my homework and research the forum better before asking any more redundant questions. Thanks to all for your replies and information.

Look, your question was valid but a commonly asked question that for which there is no clear answer. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a pre-packaged BC system, a jacket or back inflate. Buying such an off the shelf unit eliminates many of the other questions such as which wing, which plate, weight belt or pockets etc. An off the shelf BC can be useful for years to come even if you do get a BP/wing system. If you are someone who likes to get into the details and pick the meat from the bones you will like a wing/BP, if you just want to grab a jacket and go dive just get a standard BC.

I particularly find the Scuba Pro Classic Stabilizing jacket times proven. It is simple, basic and still relies on a weight belt and has a relatively low profile. There is an upgraded version that is weight integrated---which is a whole 'nuther discussion right there.

I really like having two cambands, I really prefer a weight belt and weight distribution via the plate as part of the weight load, others are different and their viewpoints are equally valid. My friend Luis who posted in this thread is in fact one of the best divers I have ever come across and the most knowledgeable as well. He is no internet cowboy and he does not use a BP/wing, that should tell you something right there. BTW, it is often a good thing to dive the sorts of equipment your buddies dive.

Good luck to you.

N

I apologize if the wording of my question caused any controversy. I guess that I confused experienced divers as technical divers. I will do my homework and research the forum better before asking any more redundant questions. Thanks to all for your replies and information.

If you're going to apologise for causing a controversy on SB you'll never stop.

e.g. A transpak is a BP/W, it just has a soft plate rather than a hard one & a non hog harness. :mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom