Why you want to interview instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet doing deco, but ...

... their back options options for a failed or lost decompression gas lie somewhere between going back to their travel gas (if carried), using their bottom gas (if not hyperoxic) ...

1. What is the real world intersection of hyperoxic mixes for bottom gas in planned-deco scenarios? [yes, I can certainly see EANx for LONG shallow deco dives, but is that really a subset worth mentioning?]
  2. But, regardless, isn't a hyperoxic mix exactly what you want in a deco mix?

Not yet doing deco, but ...

1. What is the real world intersection of hyperoxic mixes for bottom gas in planned-deco scenarios? [yes, I can certainly see EANx for LONG shallow deco dives, but is that really a subset worth mentioning?]
  2. But, regardless, isn't a hyperoxic mix exactly what you want in a deco mix?
I was asking that myself. Maybe he meant hypoxic?

With that rig maybe he was just an Oregon Ducks football fan trying to rationalize an outpouring of school spirit.

1730127274527.png

That's really the key question here. How does one go about "losing" a bottle of deco gas, in an open water dive. I suppose there are scenarios I haven't thought of but they seem remote.
A few...

Failed first stage
Failed lp hose Oring or split LP hose on the reg **
Clogged dip tube
Failed burst disk
Failed/torn 2nd stage diaphragm *

* ones I have personally had happen or seen on a buddy. Number of asterisks = number of events witnessed.

as far as "two is none" goes, there was actually a case when a guy lost the line, and then dropped TWO of his spools trying to do lost line search

of course we are now talking about some veeeeeeery extreme edge cases

Nice list. One possibility that concerned me when I was just getting into tech diving, is that some idiot recreational diver would find and take my deco bottle that I left before penetrating a shallower wreck (e.g., Spigel Grove). Have you ever heard of that actually happening?

A few...

Failed first stage
Failed lp hose Oring or split LP hose on the reg **
Clogged dip tube
Failed burst disk
Failed/torn 2nd stage diaphragm *

* ones I have personally had happen or seen on a buddy. Number of asterisks = number of events witnessed.
I had a deco bottle "failure" once. Did my bottle swap, while drifting in open water, put the reg in my mouth and got nothing but water! Spit out the second stage, went to my neckless reg, looked around to watch my mouth piece sinking into the depths. Reg had fallen out of the mouth piece, tie strap had failed) So I just swapped the second stages with my long hose (back when it was customary to keep the regs finger tight).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom