Why you should, or should not, service your own regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to service my own because I'm a Poseidon diver and finding a competent tech that knows how to tune the damn things is almost impossible. I know of 3 outside of the cave and technical community. For us it is actually a matter of convenience more than anything,

Me, too! Perhaps, if you feel generous, you could pm me with a lead on where to get parts for my mid-80s Cyklons?

don't have to PM you, they're public....

Dive Right in Scuba has them if you call and ask for the specific parts. Age doesn't matter, Cyklons from 1958 use the same parts as those from 2008, or the ones that left the factory earlier today, highly convenient. First stages are a bit different obviously, but they'll have parts in stock for all of the first stages.

Wow, I guess I better send my Cyklon parts back so NESS doesn't run out!!!

DRiS is actively stocking, John is only selling what he has left, which is only the parts kits for the mk3 first stages, and Jetstream second stages.

I am not aware of what John is currently doing. I knew in the past he has been helpful and not everything he carries is listed on the site and some of what he used to list is now gone. I assume he was getting pressured from the manufacturers. I noticed he was clearing out his Scubapro inventory, I hope all is well with him. Anyway another source for Poseidon parts is DGX. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/parts_poseidon.shtml. DRIS is great, Mike is very helpful, but it is always good to have multiple sources of parts.

He was a wonderful resource for Poseidon a few years ago but when I spoke to him this summer he said he is no longer stocking parts for them so he is just clearing out what he has.

SubAquatix, not sure what that was meant to be, but John has always posted the Poseidon parts and kits on his website and when I inquired about parts for my Cyklons, he indicated he no longer had any. DRiS and DGX were instrumental in bringing support back to the US from Poseidon and they are very adamant about maintaining full stock of parts for their customers. I buy stuff from John all the time, hell one was a Jetstream adjustment tool a few months ago, but for a full selection of parts, DRiS or DGX are best. DGX is really weird to deal with since you can't submit orders via anything but online, so they have to put the parts on the website first, really strange, but they're good about getting stuff up there which is why some weird parts are on the website and not others. DRiS you can always just call and ask for a quote or they can submit the order for anything right there so I usually deal with Mike out of convenience

Getting back to the original subject, I retract my claim regarding a "known" level of service and in its place substitute the claim of hopefully, yearning for a "barely competent" level of service.

This post is my knee jerk reaction to very recently becoming aware that I am the proud owner of a first stage that is jammed full of christo-lube (or maybe lard?) and a bunch of fresh sea water. I may not be "qualified" to know what is right, but I can clearly identify things left to my LDS's have clearly gone wrong.

Last time any of my regs ever go to a LDS.

Self serve or disposable. Please contact me with pricing.

Tom,
John must just not like you ( ;-) )!! I just ordered a couple of seats today!! He is still fully authorized Poseidon, although admits to having challenges getting parts from time to time. Only thing I have seen tougher to get parts for are Sitek regulators. According to Poseidon, they haven't made many of the older kits since they revamped in mid 2000's, but most of the parts are still available in other kits. Most people that have stock either piece them together, or buy out other stores old stock.

Back
Top Bottom