Why you can't use the PADI RDP table for Multi-Level dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Legitimate question: are these tables in any way superior to a plain ol' dive computer running a standard algorithm? :hm:

The one nice thing about tables, including the wheel, is one can plan a series of dives before getting into the water. You can't do that with a dive computer.

The wheel was a great invention. It just came out a bit late; computers took over. I remember traveling with people who used the wheel, analog depth gauge, and bezel watch. They never worried about a battery going bad. I learned a lot from them when it came to dive planning. I still have my wheel. Although, I would have to go through the instructions to remind myself how to use it.

Legitimate question: are these tables in any way superior to a plain ol' dive computer running a standard algorithm? :hm:
Not trying to shill for shearwater, but get yourself a perdix. Replace the battery using a coin and a AA battery in buttf*ck-nowhere.
LOL. You may be missing the point here. The point is NOT to argue tables versus computers, the point is to address a number of SB posts where people incorrectly used tables for multi-level dives.

Good point. However even some AOW divers do not own dive computers. I don't think they have wheels or even bring an RDP table as well for multi level dives.

I would say most recreational divers do not pre plan their 3 or 4 dives a day diving on their tables. Same for the guides. I admit to being one of them I am lazy and rely on my Perdix. However my issue is that often on multiple dives like this the SUUNTO owners are getting into deco when I am not due to their very conservative setup. I also some divers say from the USA plan in feet and PSI and I would plan in Meters and Bar.

So for instance on this dive, it was the first morning dive after several consecutive days of 3 - 4 dives a day. I asked the dive center owner if the DM and I go do a wreck dive and continue the dive until we got to 50 bar rather than a preset time limit. He knows both his DM and I are very good on air and I like to do longer dive times. So we did we plan the dive, have the boat captain drop us off right over a wreck at 34m, we would do that then follow a sandy slope back to the reef wall at around 15m and slowly go along that looking for some interesting critters to photo or video. It was also the DM guides birthday so I really wanted to let him have a fun dive rather than really leading a dive. This was one of the most enjoyable dives we did as there were only the two of us. We did another two dives later on one an afternoon dive after a 2 hour surface interval followed by a night dive with another 2 hour plus surface interval. We stay within NDL.

Could I do the plan on the tables? Well yes but as I have not done them for a long time I would need to confirm the calculations with another diver who does that regularly. Some instructors are good at it. I think most DM's never do it anymore either. Funny thing was that after we started our dive the boat went back to pick up an instructor with two AOW students. They completed their one hour dive then needed to wait 10 minutes or so until we got back aboard. The students are like we didn't see you did you come out after us. I replied no we came before you. They were a bit stunned, you did the wreck dive at 34m then the reef wall and still did a 93 minute dive and finished with 50 Bar? I should ask the students to plan my dives they are probably better at tables than I am lol. My second dive max depth was 32m and the third dive max depth 25m but both were only shorter 65 minute dives.

SAC WRECK DIVE.jpg

By the way I see that one post by Tursiops a chart that says repetitive depths are limited by the previous depth.

I assume this means that this means you should plan your deepest dive first? I thought this was no longer mandated as in fact you can do a shallower first dive to say 15m then a second dive to 25m?

By the way I see that one post by Tursiops a chart that says repetitive depths are limited by the previous depth.
I don't think I ever said that. You may be misunderstanding a post about depths in a multilevel dive, in which case the levels must be deepest first. This is a limitation of the table/Wheel/eRDPml, not anything else.

efx:
Yeah. The batteries never die and need replacing. :D

Not trying to shill for shearwater, but get yourself a perdix. Replace the battery using a coin and a AA battery in buttf*ck-nowhere.

I have a Perdix, thank you, and I have changed the battery in it, thank you. Sorry for the dry humor.

I don't think anyone is saying tables over PDC is best anymore (except some of the tech guys :stirpot:). But hey, you can still dive that way. I started when computers were an expensive luxury. Dove "tables" (Wheel) a watch, and a depth gauge. Later on, I "upgraded" to a digital bottom timer that tracked dive time and surface interval (still no depth), continuing on tables. A real job and some more challenging dives drove me to my first PDC. It was one of the first that didn't lock you out, giving you a deco schedule no matter how bad you messed up. I still kept a slate planned dive and gauge & timer with me on every dive, and would track NDL off the PDC upon surfacing and just before dive #2 to have a plan for the subsequent if the computer failed. Then, I changed to two computers if I could use my wife's as a back-up when she wasn't diving. I'd still use my tables at various times to rough plan dives I knew would approach NDL status as it was a quick solution. The dive always had a computer being used. Now, many decades later, I have two high end computers, the wife has one, the daughter has one, and I have others I've collected in gear deals that serve as spares. Computers can be so inexpensive now (sometimes even less than a watch/slate/depth gauge bought for the same use). No reason not to have one for diving.

There are a few dives I do that I don't bring my high dollar PDC on because there just isn't a reason when risk/reward is measured (damage/loss issues). It is either a cheap PDC, or just a watch because there isn't any need as it is impossible to exceed an NDL on the dive.

Equip yourself with the tools to do the job....

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom