why would you get ear plugs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is all clear to me now. I had actually been looking for replacement ear wax but Doc's has saved the day. No more loss of precious ear wax. :anakinpod

I just purchased a ProEar 2000 mask. It has earcups that are supposed to help with equalizing.
I had a very difficult time equalizing my left ear during my OW cert causing middle ear barotrauma. I am traveling to Thailand for a dive trip next week. Plan to try the new mask and see if it works.

http://www.proear2000.com/

They are quite expensive and high shipping buying directly through company. I was told they are in Israel. I bought my panoramic version through EAR, Inc. for $80. LeisurePro sells one version too.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OCNMPEBK&cmpid=frog

http://www.earinc.com/p2-water-proear.php

Some are sold on Ebay too.

well, I am kind of strange but I understand why someone would want to use earplugs. I have very sensitive ears and sometimes the noise from the simple act of breathing can be very uncomfortable. I asked about using those soft foam plugs that don't block air movement but only muffle sound but was warned against it because of the danger of pressing one into the ear with the pressure. Sometimes I will swim with my hands over my ears because it is so much more peaceful when it is quiet.

Silence is golden

....and those crabs are always talking about me!

when i first started diving i had alot of equilization problems, like everyone else i talked to it was my left ear(strange huh?) i tried everything.... heavy doses of sudafed, prescription decongestant, pro ear, and docs plugs. my experience... docs have to be a perfect fit or they wont work. with a hood they can be a little uncomfortable. the pro ear was good except when it leaks, doesnt get a good seal because of the hair around your ears. if you dive with the pro ear in the cold the hood is only 6 mils and you need to use their hood cause of the cutouts and it looks really funny too. after a while i just bought a regular mask and it seems that my ears have become used to equilizing. just my 2 cents hope it helps.

I have used the Docs Proplugs in the past in cold water (40-55 deg F) with a hood. The issue I have is that with a hood I very often will get an ear pocket in one ear and not the other at some point in the dive from my exhaust from the regulator. When that ear pocket disapears and the cold hits my ear I get very bad calorimic vertigo. The small hole in the Doc's Proplugs allows me to equalize and keep the cold water from leaking into my ear very quickly so I do not have the issues with vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom