Why would you get a Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys..... please try and keep the thread on-topic.

We've got plenty, plenty, plenty of threads discussing the pros and cons of buddy vs recreational diving etc. Let's enjoy something different to talk about for a change...

What the OP is specifically raising in this thread is:

Why would you get a solo certification?

Will it change your diving?

Will it be status symbol?

Which organization will you get your cert from (if you are getting one, that is)?

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't get certified as a solo diver and here's why.

I was trained that the best rescue is a self rescue and the decision to rely on my buddy is in error, so it probably wouldn't change my diving style.

I go underwater for the sake of being underwater, not to collect certifications. Besides, as a solo diver, I wouldn't be showing my shiny badge off to my nonexistent buddy anyhow. If I had the solo-cert and tried to show it off, many would balk at me with a stigmatic statement like, "you dive solo? moron." So the status idea is right out.

For the lesser certs (not including OW, rescue, nitrox, we all know the really important ones) I rely on listening closely to the more experienced divers, most of whom are more than happy to share their knowledge, and when they don't, I ask questions. What's important isn't the agency, its the instructor(s).

I wouldn't

No

No

None

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wouldn't

No

No

None

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob,

You are Tech trained--correct? If you are, a solo cert would be a boring and redundant course for you, I believe.

Would you reccommend a Solo cert for a person with about 100 dives, who is not going to become a tech diver, and who is interested in learning more about gas planning, self reliance, and etc?

markm

Hey smellslikefish,

You wrote: 'If I had the solo-cert and tried to show it off, many would balk at me with a stigmatic statement like, "you dive solo? moron."'

Showing off your "badge" (my word not yours) would be rediculous; however, I enjoy fereting-out idiots who would call me a moron for obtaining a Solo cert. As Dr. Thomas Sewell teaches, they are "stage-one-thinkers." I wish to avoid "stage-one-thinkers" while diving.

I am a contrarian because it is fun.

markm

Would you reccommend a Solo cert for a person with about 100 dives, who is not going to become a tech diver, and who is interested in learning more about gas planning, self reliance, and etc?

markm

Only if you can't dive solo at certain sites or charters or live-a-boards without one. Gas planning?---did you not learn the rule of 3rd's in bow? The only way you learn "self-reliance" is through experience and practice. You can list out all the physics and techniques for successfully kicking a field goal, but that will not make you a field goal kicker; you gain confidence and self-reliance by actually doing it multiple times. The only new technique I believe you would learn in a solo course is how to shoot an Smb; that is, if you've never done that, and realistically, you can learn that technique through empirical learning without an instructor and a $230 fee. I learned nothing new in my solo course; I put in the time and paid the fee just to get that piece of plastic that allowed certain dive sites that I enjoy diving solo to stay open for me.

To me, the mind-set shift is the most fundamental and critical aspect. If a student didn't achieve the training objectives in respect of their mindset, then I wouldn't be happy to issue the qualification.

This is part of why I got my Solo cert, through SDI.

It is also the best take-away from the class.

The main reason I took the class is that I really could not depend on my buddy being there. He's a same-ocean, and I wanted better skills and mindset to take care of myself.

I just don't understand that contrary thing. :angel:

I picked up an IANTD Advanced Cave DPV Diver card in 2009 + an IANTD CCR Self Sufficient Diver card this year - for the exact reasons mentioned above: Commercial sites were (and are increasingly) looking for them to allow me to dive the way I want to.

I've been a tech diver, scooter diver, and solo diver for 13 years and it was a PITA to get the cards. But, it was becoming increasingly awkward without them, and I suspect the trend will continue. I realize I'm probably in the minority in my thinking, but diving and dive trips cost way too much to be refused entry to the pool because of a piece of plastic.

Having the card hasn't changed my diving.

I'm hoping as more and more people (and certifying agencies) move in this direction that more and more sites (especially FL cave sites) will allow solo diving with the appropriate card, as they do now by requiring the appropriate cave card.

It probably doesn't matter which cert agency issues the card, unless you're looking to the course to learn how to solo dive. BUT, if that's why anyone reading this tread is taking or thinking about taking such a course, then you really don't have any business solo diving to begin with, IMO. If you're already experimenting with solo diving, even on dives you're doing with a buddy, then look at the instructor teaching the solo course, not the agency certifying it. If he or she's not a full-blown solo diver, then what in the world can he or she possibly teach you?

Hey Bob,

You are Tech trained--correct? If you are, a solo cert would be a boring and redundant course for you, I believe.

markm

Yes I would ... but with a caveat. Find a recreational instructor who is tech-trained ... because a lot of what comes in these courses really depends on learning why it matters, and it is often the case that the instructor who has no real background in the subject doesn't know.

There's a big difference between knowing something and understanding it. The course will only give you the knowledge. To understand it requires some context. You can get that either by doing, or by working with someone who can put the context into the course material.

FWIW - I've read the SDI manual, and it's actually pretty good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gas planning?---did you not learn the rule of 3rd's in bow?

I don't think many would, as it isn't on the curriculum at bow level for most agencies. It tends to be reserved for overhead environment (tech, wreck, cavern, cave etc)

Besides which... simple rule of 1/3rd is hardly 'gas management'.

The only way you learn "self-reliance" is through experience and practice.

..and training.

Training works quite well at tech levels. The 'solo diver' courses are basically distilled essentials from tech courses - mindset, equipment and gas/dive planning.

You can list out all the physics and techniques for successfully kicking a field goal, but that will not make you a field goal kicker;

I don't think anyone suggest that a solo diving course would be theory only?

The only new technique I believe you would learn in a solo course is how to shoot an Smb;

It'd pay to research the syllabus of available solo courses then...

I learned nothing new in my solo course;

What was the syllabus you studied? You were either over-experienced when attending the course (the training was redundant), or you had a very closed mind towards the value of the course... or your instructor was a waste of oxygen.

I put in the time and paid the fee just to get that piece of plastic that allowed certain dive sites that I enjoy diving solo to stay open for me.

With that mindset, you shouldn't have a solo card. You obviously had your mind made up before you went to the course. You wanted a card, you got a card.

I've seen the same mindset from OW students to Tech students. Low expectations create a self-fulfilling prophesy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom