Why would you get a Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmud

Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives.
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I have not been engrossed in the PADI serial dive course regimen. I have an OW, AOW, and Nitrox Card. Those are the only certs I really need and from the start, they are the only certs that I planned on getting.

However, I am serious about getting a Solo Cert. This will be a useful cert for me. This winter, or next spring, I will obtain an SDI Solo Cert.

Here is why I want one:
  1. On some dive boats, I will be allowed to Solo dive, if I choose.
  2. I will learn interesting things from the curriculum.
  3. I will discuss with an instructor, different ways to configure my stuff.
  4. A Solo cert is somewhat of a novelity--not many know about it. While not rising to the level of a Master SCUBA cert, or a Tech Cert, it is still a nice addition to the cert card collection.
  5. I like being slightly contrarian. This will be an excellent discussion starter.
Refering back to #1 above, mostly I will enjoy the freedom to choose between a guided trip, or a liesurly dive without having to keep pace and follow others. Sometimes, just blowing bubbles and poking around is all I want to do.

I Solo dive already when not on an organized dive trip, so for those excursions it won't matter either way. In California, most dive operators don't provide an in-water divemaster which means I have been diving solo from boats already.

How about you?

Is getting a Solo Cert in the cards?

Will it change your diving?

Will it be status symbol?

Which organization will you get your cert from (if you are getting one, that is)?

markm

Last edited by a moderator:
Is getting a Solo Cert in the cards? No

Will it change your diving? No

Will it be status symbol? :rofl3:

Which organization will you get your cert from (if you are getting one, that is)? See #1

I've been solo diving long before there were certs for it, I rarely dive charters and when I do I often wind up solo once the dive begins anyway. I just don't need it.

The only thing a solo cert card will do for you is keep you from being "locked out" of commercial dive sites that require a solo cert before they allow you dive; and live-a-boards that require a solo cert. Oh, one other thing---you'll get a lot of ooooo's and aaaaaaaah's from your non diving friends. just say'in

I agree with Barracuda2. When I dive solo it's shore diving when I can't find a buddy and have the urge to dive. On a boat I prefer to dive with someone as it's more social and fun. Aside from taking a pony bottle with you there are no extra skills to solo diving--just psychological: clear and calm mind, and staying well within your comfort zone.

Adam

Will it be status symbol? :rofl3:

Ok, I deserve that one! :dork2:

I enjoyed your response,

markm

I agree with Barracuda2. When I dive solo it's shore diving when I can't find a buddy and have the urge to dive. On a boat I prefer to dive with someone as it's more social and fun. Aside from taking a pony bottle with you there are no extra skills to solo diving--just psychological: clear and calm mind, and staying well within your comfort zone.

Adam

Hey Adam,

I think your post has some profound points in it. I wrote that I like being slightly contrarian and I think your post explains why. With a little forethought and practice, solo diving is really no big deal! I like contradicting religous based orthodoxy. A dogmatic adherence to buddy diving is based on faith; not rational cogitation.

markm

My only motivation to get a solo card was to reassure charter operators that they are off the liability hook. Most boats on the Pacific-side aren’t too uptight about it, but it is useful when they are. I can’t say I learned anything useful.

As far as any card from PADI, NAUI, SDI, NASDS/SSI, et al being prestigious? Yeah right.
:shakehead: :rofl3: :confused: :bs: :homealone:

Reactions: Jax
Will it change your diving? No

If you enter any course of training with a negative attitude and unwillingness to subsequently apply the training, I wouldn't be surprised if the results were disappointing.

The PADI 'Self-Reliant Diver' course draws principles directly from the TecRec programs (where self-reliance is taught as a core foundational principle). It not only deals with dive planning and equipment issues, but also mind-set.

To me, the mind-set shift is the most fundamental and critical aspect. If a student didn't achieve the training objectives in respect of their mindset, then I wouldn't be happy to issue the qualification.

I don't think that any qualification should be sought for the benefit of 'prestige'. That line of thinking also leads to divers conducting dives for the 'prestige' of it. Dangerous.

Likewise, I don't encourage divers to view qualifications as 'licenses'. Firstly, because they aren't licenses. Secondly, because that detracts from the focus upon gained knowledge, skills and capability. What matters are the capabilities the diver gains, not the piece of plastic he puts in his wallet. The plastic just represents a completed course of training. Hopefully that course has merits, but nonetheless, what ultimately matters is the diver himself.

What Barracuda2 and Andy both said. It opens you up to solo dive where you might not otherwise be permitted by the charter or the liveaboard. But I also think that solo is a more advanced course, and many divers would improve through taking it. I don't know of any other rec level courses that mandate gas planning etc as part of the curriculum.

With regards to gas planning, it's actually easier when diving solo, because I don't have to worry about sharing air with my buddy and the uncertainty of his air consumption. Also I don't have to worry about his/her tank pressure. Mechanically solo diving is easier, but if something does not go right you don't have a buddy to help you out--which is a psychological weight.

Back
Top Bottom