Why would both primary and octo freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does one find out what the target IP should be for a given reg?

The technical answer is to check the service manual on each regulator. The practical answer is 135 to 150 PSI +/-.

This isn't a bad intro to regulators:

HowStuffWorks "Regulators and Scuba Breathing Apparatus"

What you really want to look for is changes in your IP from where your regulator has been working fine. Increased IP is an indication the first stage seat or springs need service. Ideally you want to watch your IP when breathing on the regulator. Big drops on inhilation can mean there is a flow restriction that could be serious at depth.

Part of your pre-dive-trip regulator check should include a visual on the first stage filter. Green, clogged, and nasty is not good. :wink:

They either "helped" you by adjusting the first stage or dropped some crap into the reg that has now lodged into the HP seat....which is my guess. In any case, they need to correct the issue.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 07:01 PM ----------

How does one find out what the target IP should be for a given reg?

Finding the manual is the best way but 99% of all modern regs fall between 130 and 145, with few exceptions 135-140 is always a good choice when you are not sure. The actual value is not nearly as important as how steady it is.

Thanks for linking those - I just ordered the second one - currently a mere 18 bucks with free shipping. Seems almost like it would be a crime not to have one at that price

It is only $8 here with free shipping over $50.00 which is easy to do.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 05:18 PM ----------

As others have said, it is most likely to be an IP issue. On many regulators, the IP needs to be set/adjusted after a re-assemble.

Swapping from a yoke to a din attachment should not require an adjustment. You are basically unscrewing one fitting and screwing in a new one. The previous adjustment should still hold.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 05:24 PM ----------

There is one other possibility, which is if the Mares 1st stage that you have is an unbalanced piston 1st stage, and if your new tank is high pressure.

His regulator is still in production, according to LP the first stage is a sealed balanced diaphragm.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like I'll be taking it back to the shop Monday for them to look at it. It also sounds like I'll be getting an IP gauge.

Sounds like a 1st stage problem, mares regulators are notoriously difficult to get properly balanced.

Why would that be?

Mares diaphragm firsts are about as simple to rebuild as it gets. Their 2nd stages are mostly classic unbalanced downstream 2nd's, nothing mysterious there... adjust orifice and lever height, pretty straight forward.... just curious why you think they are difficult to service, that has not been my experience...

Best wishes.

Why would that be?

Mares diaphragm firsts are about as simple to rebuild as it gets. Their 2nd stages are mostly classic unbalanced downstream 2nd's, nothing mysterious there... adjust orifice and lever height, pretty straight forward.... just curious why you think they are difficult to service, that has not been my experience...

Best wishes.

Hey LeadTurn_SD

I'm not trying to be a brand basher - I've nothing against the Mares brand in general, just never had great experiences with their regs - specifically protons which often have freeflow and balance problems - many documented on this site in fact! Also mainly because they use a completely different servicing set to that which is common throughout other brands, so are more difficult to self service. And every time I've come across freeflows and put in for servicing at a service centre, they've come back still freeflowing or with problems within a short timeframe.

Perhaps its just bad luck, but thats just my personal experience :)

One of the reasons I keep a few Mares regs around is because they are so easy to self service.......the 1st stages are almost identical to AquaLung/USD 1st stages and share many common service parts.

Mares have been plagued with poor quality service parts in the past.
I have to agree that the Proton was not their high point and does need frequent adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom