Why would both primary and octo freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vislor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got me a couple tanks and so switched my regulator (Mares Instinct 52) from yoke to DIN. I had it done at my LDS, I didn't do it myself. Last night was checking the gear and now both my primary second stage as well as my octo are leaking (free-flowing?) It's not a a hose connection, it's inside the second stages themselves (the air comes out the mouthpiece). It's not a major leak but it does have me concerned. The whole rig only has 15 or so dives on it. Would the change from yoke to DIN have caused this? (Seeing as how they should only have worked on the first stage, and I don't think they even needed to open that up?) Is there something I can check myself or does this need to go back to the LDS?

It sounds like the first stage is delivering too high an intermediate pressure (IP). [-]An upstream[/-] A downstream second stage regulator acts as a relief valve. It is hard to check the IP yourself without a low pressure gauge with a compatible connection.

Last edited:
The chances of them changing the IP is slim to none. Take them in and get them adjusted.

I would recommend getting an IP gauge and routinely checking your IP. It is one of the few things that can make a dive go very wrong. The gauges plug into BC connection, so it takes only seconds to check. I do it before every dive day.

Maybe the IP was too low before and they fixed it. Make sure the first stage IP is correct, then adjust the cracking pressure of both seconds.

XS Scuba IP Test Gauge | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

XS Scuba IP Test Gauge - YouTube

Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BCD Quick Disconnect Fitting | LeisurePro

The first one will screw into the first stage or onto “most” BC Quick Disconnects. The second one connects to QDs only. Very handy to have.

Does anyone know which BC QDs these don't work on?

Thanks for linking those - I just ordered the second one - currently a mere 18 bucks with free shipping. Seems almost like it would be a crime not to have one at that price

Just got me a couple tanks and so switched my regulator (Mares Instinct 52) from yoke to DIN. I had it done at my LDS, I didn't do it myself. Last night was checking the gear and now both my primary second stage as well as my octo are leaking (free-flowing?) It's not a a hose connection, it's inside the second stages themselves (the air comes out the mouthpiece). It's not a major leak but it does have me concerned. The whole rig only has 15 or so dives on it. Would the change from yoke to DIN have caused this? (Seeing as how they should only have worked on the first stage, and I don't think they even needed to open that up?) Is there something I can check myself or does this need to go back to the LDS?

Just to be clear, the reg worked fine before the yoke/DIN change, and both 2nd stages free flowed immediately after the shop changed the fitting? Then it's very likely they did something to cause it. They must have messed with the IP somehow. There is one other possibility, which is if the Mares 1st stage that you have is an unbalanced piston 1st stage, and if your new tank is high pressure. IP goes up with tank pressure in that type of 1st stage, so if this is the first time you've had the reg at 3500 PSI, maybe the IP is high enough to flow a bit out the 2nd stages. If it's a diaphragm reg, IP would be either the same or a little lower at higher tank pressure.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 04:24 PM ----------

An upstream second stage regulator acts as a relief valve. It is hard to check the IP yourself without a low pressure gauge with a compatible connection.

It's the downstream design that would act as a relief valve, not upstream. Upstream means the pressure from the 1st stage tends to push the valve closed, not open. And I bet you meant "It is NOT hard to check the IP....." because it's as easy as checking tire pressure.

Maybe they put in a new filter?

…It's the downstream design that would act as a relief valve, not upstream...

Thanks for the heads up. Typo corrected.

… And I bet you meant "It is NOT hard to check the IP....." because it's as easy as checking tire pressure.

This one was not a typo:

… It is hard to check the IP yourself without a low pressure gauge with a compatible connection.

I agree it is very easy if you have a gauge and I encourage everyone to have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom