"Why We Overeat and How to Stop"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHorse81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
upload_2016-7-5_8-16-48.png

Hi, my name is Elizabeth Babcock. I am a diver who also happens to be a psychotherapist, one who specializes in work with overeaters.

I’m posting here to announce the publication of my new book, Why We Overeat and How to Stop, now available on Amazon.com at this link. I wrote it for the purpose of helping those who overeat (which includes most people) to understand why control with food is so hard, and to explore a different, more effective way of dealing with it. This new approach creates lasting results that lead to greater personal peace, better health, and more overall satisfaction in life.

I have studied the issue of overeating since 2001, and since 2004, I have worked with nearly 1000 clients who have sought counseling/therapy to address it. I bring much personal experience to the topic since I used to be just as lost as anyone when it came to overeating. Having lived with it myself for decades and then focusing on it in my profession since beginning my own recovery in 2001, I know this topic literally inside and out.

Why We Overeat and How to Stop
is my best effort to share all I’ve learned. It includes a clear explanation of why we do what we do, and an honest look at the typical pitfalls, obstacles, and frustrations that most people encounter along the path toward change, along with new solutions and strategies. Finally, it presents lots of detailed information about how to not only get better results, but to be happier in the process.

I am including excerpts of book reviews from a number of healthcare professionals in my area who have graciously agreed to evaluate the material; their reviews appear in full on the Amazon page for the book as soon as I figure out how to do that. I hope you will consider giving this book a look, and will be happy to address any questions you might have.

In an effort to expand the reach and benefits of this material, I have established a Facebook discussion page where readers of the book can go to share information, ask questions, get support, and just generally spend time among others with similar concerns and goals. The page can be accessed here, and is also referenced in the book itself. It is a closed group, which means that the page and member list are visible to all of Facebook, but posts are visible only to members, all of whom will be authenticated by me prior to admission. My goal is to provide not only the basic information contained in the book, but an ongoing support system for those who desire it.

If you choose to read the book, I hope you will consider posting a review on Amazon, where nearly 93,000 other books are listed in this category. Without input from those who have read it, it risks becoming lost in the shuffle. Mentioning it on Facebook, should you feel comfortable doing so, is an additional way to increase the chances that those who need it can find it. If you believe, as I do, that it’s worth a look, adding your voice to the cause will make an important difference.

With that, here are excerpts from the reviews I have received so far:

Elizabeth Babcock has written the most helpful and comprehensive book on overeating I have ever seen … The book is extremely well written and thoroughly referenced. Babcock breaks things down to make them understandable and memorable …

This book takes the reader by the hand to design a new life without overeating, from the ways to think about such a life (long term well-being, a satisfying life) to the step-by-step practical strategies that lead there … It is a worthy read for anyone, and a godsend for those who seek to enjoy a satisfying life without overeating.

Sharon Eakes, MA, BCC; Executive Coach, Author, Huffington Post Blogger, Clinical Director (1972-1996) of Gateway Rehabilitation Center, Aliquippa, PA

I have followed wellness-related media for decades now, but was pleasantly surprised to find something totally new here … This material is a complete, near-encyclopedic work aimed at weight regulating mechanisms of the human body … Some chapters are very unique and familiar only to highly specialized health professionals … yet reading them is easy and entertaining.

This book is a game changer. I highly recommend it to the general public as well as to health care providers at all levels.

Evgeniy A. Shchelchkov, MD; Chairman, Department of Neurology; The Washington Health System, Washington, PA

Ms. Babcock … offers an easily understood overview of how our brains function in relation to compulsive behaviors such as overeating, explaining how the emotional brain often sabotages our ability to maintain control as it seeks immediate gratification through eating …

Why We Overeat and How to Stop moves beyond thinking of diets, pounds, numbers, and scales and challenges readers to critically appraise overeating, set meaningful, individualized goals, and move beyond all-or-nothing thinking in an effort to promote our healthiest selves …

I certainly plan to recommend this book to clients who struggle with eating issues and also feel that this book can benefit anyone struggling with compulsive behaviors.

Kirstyn M. Kameg, DNP, PMHNP-BC; Professor of Nursing, AIME Project Director, PMHNP Program Coordinator; Robert Morris University, School of Nursing & Health Sciences

In this practical, readable, intellectually digestible resource, Ms. Babcock explains in simple terms the complex neurobiology of eating and overeating, of cravings, and of one’s preference for being a couch potato rather than an Energizer Bunny®. More importantly, Ms. Babcock explains how to work with rather than against nature to improve one’s physical well-being, while simultaneously improving one’s mental well-being …

While this book is intended for individuals struggling with emotional food and eating issues, health professionals would certainly benefit from reading it as well. I recommend it for counselors/psychotherapists, Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, personal trainers, health coaches, Registered Nurses, and primary care providers (MDs/DOs/CRNPs/PAs).

Katherine Stephens-Bogard, MS, RDN/LD, CDE, RYT; Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator; DEMP & Outpatient Nutrition, The Washington Health System, Washington, PA

Elizabeth Babcock has written one of the most easily "digested" self-help books I have ever read. Why We Overeat and How to Stop provides a wealth of information about how evolution, neuroscience, culture, and society influence the way we eat, and, more importantly, many well-thought-out and tested strategies for making profound life changes. She manages to convey all of this in a conversational style without jargon or undue complexity. It is as though she is sitting across the room from and talking directly to the reader. Her insight, compassion, and support emanate throughout. Why We Overeat and How to Stop is an invaluable resource for people struggling with overeating and the professionals who are trying to help them.
Robert Mason, LCSW CEAP; Director of Employee Assistance Services; 21st Century Employee Assistance Partners, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA

This book is nothing short of remarkable in its ability to address the dynamics of overeating in a clear and understandable manner as well as those processes needed to make change … I highly recommend this book for individuals who have fought with overeating and for anyone wishing to treat clients who have had any issues around eating. It is easily understood and written in language that can be followed by clients, and novice as well as seasoned clinicians.
Dr. John D Massella, LPC, NCC, CCS, CCDP; Assistant Professor and Clinician, California University of Pennsylvania

As someone who has battled food addiction all of my life, I find Ms. Babcock’s words and concepts so simple that I wonder why no one else has ever been able to fine-tune the art of normalizing food consumption and taking the fight out of the process …

Her approach to why we eat, how we eat, how we choose our food, how we shop and most certainly what we define as food should be the foundation for the way we honor our bodies and thus feed not only our physical self but our soul.

Debra Bates, RN; Director of Health Ministries
Christ United Methodist Church, Bethel Park, PA

In Ms. Babcock’s book, Why We Overeat and How to Stop, she provides compelling insight into the fundamental reasons why all of us are prone to overeating. The all-encompassing comprehensive approach to this book truly makes it stand out …

The book is thoroughly researched, well written, and wide reaching. It touches upon the importance of our emotional behaviors (you may think twice about giving your crying baby a snack to calm him down after reading this book), the challenge of the American diet as it currently stands, and the utmost importance in which exercise minimizes overeating.

It has proven to be a very enjoyable read, with practical advice that just makes sense, and I intend to wholeheartedly recommend this book to my patients going forward.

Jeffrey Liu, MD; Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiologist
South Hills Cardiology Associates, Bethel Park, PA

Babcock … combines compassion, science-supported information, and a practical guide to light the way toward a sustainable and joyful relationship with food. In doing so, she also points the way for us to create deeply meaningful lives revolving around what matters most …

She invites us to let ourselves off the hook, and make a life-change for the better. Very rarely do self-help books offer tangible, accessible steps with such clarity and depth of heart.

Dr. Lori Gray, PhD; Licensed Psychologist, Assistant Professor; Integrative Holistic Health and Wellness, Western Michigan University

If you happen to release it in Kindle format in the future, please let us know. I would like to read this book, but my library space is extremely limited. I can store lots of books in the kindle library.

The Kindle version is coming as soon as I can get it done. There is SO much to do right now! I may be able to get it out this week, but no promises. I'll post here when it's available.

I have since learned that Amazon has greatly tightened their space allowance for reviews, so I was not able to post the full text of the reviews there as I'd planned, or even all of the reviews. You can see them here, however, if you'd like.

The Kindle version is underway. Just taking longer to get it done than I'd hoped, given the MANY other tasks presently associated with launching the book. I may have it online within a week.

The book is now available in Kindle format. Because this just happened in the last 24 hours, the Kindle version does not yet show on the Amazon page for the print book, but can presently be purchased at the link below. Both versions should be integrated into a single Amazon page within a week or so.

I have enabled lending for this Kindle book, and it is also available at a discount to those who buy the print version.

For what it’s worth, I believe that the print version of the book offers a superior learning experience. It allows for more sophisticated formatting and use of better graphics, which increase both visual appeal and clarity of information. It can’t match the Kindle version for portability and accessibility, however, so I’m glad to be able to offer that option for those who prefer it.

https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Overe...&sr=8-1&keywords=why+we+overeat+kindle#navbar

Hey Frank (@Wookie ), you can get your Kindle book now. :)

I've been reading this and finding that it helps with more than just eating. Though it does work very well with that. Keep an open mind and you may find that it affects a number of areas of your life. I'd also recommend it for those who have someone with this problem and would like a deeper understanding of how your behavior affects them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom