Why use an APEKS DS4 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jax951

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering - why does everyone keep recommending the use of the DS4 1st stage with the ATX50 regulator? I realize the DS4 is one-piece, and the one that comes with the ATX50 is a swivel type.

Are swivel type 1st stages prone to leaking or something?

Just curious....

Mark

jax951:
Just wondering - why does everyone keep recommending the use of the DS4 1st stage with the ATX50 regulator? I realize the DS4 is one-piece, and the one that comes with the ATX50 is a swivel type.

Just curious....

Mark
Some say they are prone to failure at the swivel but I have used apeks DST 1st stages on my doubles for about 3 years and I have had no problem with them.

jax951:

Just curious....

Mark
I have a couple of UST first stages that have yet to give me the first bit of trouble.

When I figured out that I did not need the swivels for my doubles and it was time to replace my single tank regs, I got a couple of DS4 first stages for my doubles and put the swivel regs into single tank service where they have thrived.

Some report leaks. I have had none. Since I was getting regs anyway, I went for fewer failure points.

I doubt I would have trashed a working set of regs over it.

My wife uses a DST first stage and has never had a problem with it, if I was going to replace it i would probably get her a DS4 only because its a little smaller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom