Why the red and white "Diver down" flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why I took the PADI Advanced Horn Mine Deployment course. When you hear and feel the big concussion, you swim towards it, knowing there's good fresh salvage to be had.
I think that is an TDI course, it's pretty technical.

This is why I took the PADI Advanced Horn Mine Deployment course. When you hear and feel the big concussion, you swim towards it, knowing there's good fresh salvage to be had.
You better get out of the water before it blows. Ever seen a gutted fish?

The news story claims that the guy driving the boat so recklessly was talking on his cell phone at the time. If he couldn't see people waving frantically from a big green boat, he probably wouldn't see a flag, no matter what the color.

Fisherman sues after boat crash near Hammond during Buoy 10
I think he said he was sitting down and could not see over his hull. Again, a flag would not have helped.

In the first story I linked above, the boater who ran over the diver had the boat on autopilot and was otherwise engaged.

Sometimes signs don't help. We found this one in sixty feet. It would be difficult to see from a boat.
Habitats_ART0214_zpseezreik9.jpg

I think he said he was sitting down and could not see over his hull. Again, a flag would not have helped.

In the first story I linked above, the boater who ran over the diver had the boat on autopilot and was otherwise engaged.

No, maybe not, but a good air horn would get his attention.

You were doing real well up until this rather silly statement. :(

I'm sure you are right. Who would question a Marine Scientist and Master Instructor? :bicker:

Master Instructor of what? :rofl3:

In the case of the boat on autopilot, the dive boat blew its horn and tried to move to intercept the boat. No dice.

In another case just last year in Florida, a dive boat went to retrieve its dive flag. They thought it was hooked to the reef, and when it did not come up right away, they locked it on board and gunned the engines to pull it loose. They had the wrong flag. The entire time they were doing that, the commercial dive boat whose divers were using that flag was blowing its horn and going as fast as it could toward them. They had a loud speaker and were yelling at them over it. They tried to raise them on the radio, but they did not have theirs turned on. Luckily, I was wise enough not to have the flag attached to me, or I would have been riding in that boat's wake in a matter of seconds.

Are you suggesting he is not at fault because the victim didn't have an air horn?

Back
Top Bottom