Why the Mk25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainsey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now I have been bitten by the tec bug, it is amazing that you take a lot more interest now in regs (reg envy?). It appears that the Mk 25 seems to be the standard operating equipment for a twin setup, predomanently from the view that it seems easier to route the hoses with the LP outlet at the end of its body.

So I ask the question, has anyone emulated the success and design of the Mk25. To date I have been leaning towads the Oceanic and Hollis for my rec setups. I use an FDX 10 / EOS and a Hollis 212/DC1 normally. But neither of these have the finesse of the Mk25 for the twin setup. When something shines, other companies usually copy... why not with the MK25?

Cheers

Rainsey

I too like the way the turret type regs with 5th port on the end of the turret fit on doubles (and even more for single tanks with a long hose for that matter), however there are plenty of regs that will route just as well. There's not too many regs that can't be routed conveniently for doubles and this should not be the major factor in your choice of regs.
I haven't looked at the Oceanic or Hollis but other well known choices are Apeks, Atomic, Dive Rite, Zeagle and Mares....with the nod going to Apeks for popularity.

Apex has a newer tech regulator set that breathes decently & also has ports set for easier routing of the hoses. To be honest, I've never used it. My tech instructor does & he won't use a regulator unless it is both functional & easy breathing. He is a HUGE fan of the SP MK25/S600. He will typically use the Apex first stage with the SP S600second stage & seems to be happy with it.

The big downside to the mk25 is cold water performance in the 40to50deg range it tends to freeze easyer than many other regs . I love the hose routing and easy breathing of the mk25 but i much prefer the Atomic m1 to the mk25 same hose routing and much better in cold water . As for a second stage scubapro has only one good second stage for cold water and that is the g250v the other ones are great breathers but are limited for cold water use

As for ocianic and holis regs the first stages are not bad but im not sold on the cheepy second stages with the plastic air barrels . Got to test dive some of the holis stuff its not bad but no were as refined as atomic of scubapro . And the hose route really badly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom