Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no such thing as "optimal really effective fins". There's fins that are optimal and effective for your muscles in a particular current. As a general rule, the cost-effective solutions are: either get in the pool and condition your muscles to provide the energy, or buy a scooter and get the energy from a wall outlet instead.

Last edited:
All good. I worried the ‘optimal’ was not really true. Let’s go with decent over a wide range.

There are lots of vacation divers out there not hitting the gym much and not dragging scooters with them on travel. There are expensive fins out there. Not many are as expensive as a scooter, and most travel better.

Fins differ and are one of your tools. I’m just saying look around and pick decently wisely.

I have fins I like that let me swim against current if needed. I’m good. You’ll can go back to slow swimming and scooters as relates to split fin choices.

Last edited:
Well, this is something I alluded to earlier in the thread: I don't see struggling against the current as a recreational activity. I swim in fins and kickboard for a workout because it keeps my lower back from falling apart and teh rest of me: from feeling old and decrepit all the time, but on a reef dive I'd rather go with the DM who says "it's too much current, let's drift".

So for the OP's scenario: the whole group had no problem, she ran out of steam early, I'd say hit the pool and don't wear "wet noodle" fins (which many splits aren't if you know how to drive them). Whereas your scenario: the whole group had a problem and boat crew decided it was too rough for diving, I'd say it wasn't people's fins that were to blame.

Fold your hands together and gently pick your way through your dive. Take your time to see everything else all the others missed.

+1!

There's no such thing as "optimal really effective fins". There's fins that are optimal and effective for your muscles in a particular current. As a general rule, the cost-effective solutions are: either get in the pool and condition your muscles to provide the energy, or buy a scooter and get the energy from a wall outlet instead.
True. I scuba, freedive, finswim, etc. My quiver of fins is quite extensive, just for the reasons that you cite. I have Apollo split fins, two pair of jet fins, jet fin sport, powerplanas, etc. some of it is fin indulgence, but most operate differently under different conditions.

Reactions: mdb
I still have a set of the Dacor black foot pocket, white translucent jet blades from '83. They are like having 2X12's duct taped on your feet!....haven't been able to use them in a decade (I feel kinda old at this point). I MUCH preferred my SP Twin Jets, both full foot and open heel. I recently got a pair of SW Novas though, and do notice I have more mobility while in a wreck and better responsiveness in current. I won't hesitate to wear my twin jets though. They are comfortable and a joy to use. If someone will laugh at me or ridicule me....That's THEIR problem, and I don't currently need any more dive buddies, anyway!! :cheers:

Last edited:
I have been diving since 1970 (a little before that, actually).

I did cave diving all over central Florida for many years all through the 70's and 80's. I lived in my jet fins, and loved them.

Then I heard about splits and decided to try them. I was not fond of the floppy Apollos, but then tried the very stiff Scuba Pro Twin Speed fins (no longer made). These were NOT the twin jets, which I didn't like. I fell totally in love. They are FAST, with a fraction of the effort. Because they are stiff, I can frog kick and back up just fine. I do photography and they are wonderful.

Once, in PNG, a dive guide and I went to the mooring on a remote seamount to put a pin on the anchor line. We had decised to moor for the night there and needed to secure the boat. There was a NASTY current, and nothing to protect you from it. The dive guide was almost half my age, but I beat him to the mooring and I wasn't nearly as out of breath as he was.

I no longer really enjoy my jets. Even in an overhead environment, I can keep from silting with the splits.

The problem is, you have to learn how to use them. There IS a learning curve. Those who decry them, likely haven't bothered to learn how to use them. Many of the comments here are proof of that.

I did cave diving all over central Florida for many years all through the 70's and 80's. I lived in my jet fins, and loved them.

Then I heard about splits and decided to try them. I was not fond of the floppy Apollos, but then tried the very stiff Scuba Pro Twin Speed fins (no longer made). These were NOT the twin jets, which I didn't like. I fell totally in love. They are FAST, with a fraction of the effort. Because they are stiff, I can frog kick and back up just fine. I do photography and they are wonderful.

Once, in PNG, a dive guide and I went to the mooring on a remote seamount to put a pin on the anchor line. We had decised to moor for the night there and needed to secure the boat. There was a NASTY current, and nothing to protect you from it. The dive guide was almost half my age, but I beat him to the mooring and I wasn't nearly as out of breath as he was.

I no longer really enjoy my jets. Even in an overhead environment, I can keep from silting with the splits.

The problem is, you have to learn how to use them. There IS a learning curve. Those who decry them, likely haven't bothered to learn how to use them. Many of the comments here are proof of that.
As in life, I find that being openminded in scuba is often quite beneficial. It is not always easy.Thanks for your post.

:) indeed I have not tried them. And if all of the divers that I have seen in the water had your skills, then I would probably say no more.

Shall my new mantra be friends that know how teach their friends how to pick split fins and then how to dive them?

Go to any swimming site and read the description of flutter kick. That's the proper technique for split fins, force fins, and most other fins. With the possible exception of very long freediving blades: it is apparently possible to send some of those into "flutter" with short fast kicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom