Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many years ago, I was offered a pair of "Deep Purple" fins at the California Show by the then owner. I jokingly said I would wait for the Inagoddadavida baby fins. He didn't get it.

That make me so sad!

Can someone tell me why some (seemingly quite a few) fins have a hole located near the end of the blade? I had a pair of Eddy’s arrive this week and was a bit surprised to see the hole (as the stock photo doesn’t show one) but Nova’s and many other fins also have this same hole so IDK and this seems like just as good a thread as any to ask. Thanks!

Attachments

• E6CB3E7E-8FBA-4D40-B1A7-0F558BDA850B.jpeg
    E6CB3E7E-8FBA-4D40-B1A7-0F558BDA850B.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 48
Can someone tell me why some (seemingly quite a few) fins have a hole located near the end of the blade? I had a pair of Eddy’s arrive this week and was a bit surprised to see the hole (as the stock photo doesn’t show one) but Nova’s and many other fins also have this same hole so IDK and this seems like just as good a thread as any to ask. Thanks!

So you can hang them up in the closet and use proper split fins instead ?

So you can hang them up in the closet and use proper split fins instead ?

Actually the first part of the statement is true. I met Rhyss, the inventor of the Seawing Nova at DEMA and asked him that same question. Answer was “to hang them up”.

Can someone tell me why some (seemingly quite a few) fins have a hole located near the end of the blade?
They are thumb/clip holes. Easy enough to walk out with the fins that way.

I thought for sure they had to be for more than just clipping together/hanging up but then again I’ve always just used the thumb loops on the spring straps for that and when at home/not in use they lay flat in storage.

Really? Then please tell me how I managed to amass more than 100 dives within a year diving Midwestern quarries, plus Lakes Michigan and Huron, the majority with Atomic splits?

Easy, its obvious. You a very motivated person. Given any sort of fin, I think you will continue to progress down a path and end up being an excellent technical diver. I see someone who is driven and will push through any problems to achieve the goal they have set.

Back
Top Bottom