Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everytime a fin starts or stops, there is a water vortex associated with it. The aerodynamicists call it a starting or stopping vortex. It has to do with boundary layers building up or being shed. The stopping vortices are bigger, faster, stronger. The vortex is just water spinning, and the energy in that vortex is energy wasted. That wasted energy comes from your legs. So, traditional fins waste less energy with broad, sweeping motions, so they start and stop moving as little as possible. Split fins are designed so the blade separates and bends such that a vortex is shed off each of the half-blades, and the geometry makes those vortices in the middle "slot" spin in opposite directions, which propels water between the two vortices. This gives some propulsion. For split fins, you want lots of water being propelled, so the more often the fin changes direction, the more propulsion you get. This means rapid, small-amplitude kicks, vesus the slow, large-amplitude kicks for the blade fins. Different fin design>>different optimal kicking. There is also likely a venturi effect with water moving over the split-fin blade being "squeezed" to get through the slot, and this gives some more addeded momentum forward. All th above is for flutter kickers. Actually, many flutter kickers are actually trying to ride a bike underwater, with lots of knee bend and thigh movement. They get some minor propulsion from pushing the water with the bottom of their fin, whereas fins are designed for the forward kick of the foot to be the power stroke, utilizing the top of the fin.

I’m trying to find an equipment solution to my lack of muscle strength and stamina.

Thank you for being honest. Nothing wrong with trying to find an easy way out to developing lower body strength. My advice? Diving is dangerous. Judge your risk/reward scale carefully.

I have purple Atomic splits. I went through a few pairs of tech paddle fins before I got the splits. Ah, relief for my knees!

I dive the local quarry and places on Lakes Michigan and Huron I’ve not yet really encountered current.

Due to current bum leg (due to shingles), I’m back to my splits (from Deep6). Some flavor of modified flutter worked well today and didn’t stir up the silty quarry bottom much.

I don’t give a flying fig what anyone thinks of my splits. They work for me for the diving I’m currently doing.

'Splits' are great, they work 'in the real world', and you'll notice I'm the ONLY person so far who has posted WWW links, on this thread, to actual comparison tests of various fins in head-to-head competition!

Reactions: tep
So the analogy might be: split fins are to stiff paddle fins (e.g., Jets) as first gear on a car is to third gear?
I almost used that analogy, except with a ten-speed. When I raced bikes and canoes in High School, Wednesdays were 1st gear days. 8 miles to my house in first gear, then off to Wekiva Springs for two and a half hours in the canoe. My calves hated Wednesdays, but not as much as Thursdays. :D
They also came in all sorts of sissy colors like pink purple
Many years ago, I was offered a pair of "Deep Purple" fins at the California Show by the then owner. I jokingly said I would wait for the Inagoddadavida baby fins. He didn't get it. :D My buddy @Moose wears those fins now and he loves them.
I hate rebreathers, shearwater computers, and high quality regs....OK, waiting by the mailbox.
Don't forget the first rule of Scuba: Don't hold your breath! :D

I have purple Atomic splits. I went through a few pairs of tech paddle fins before I got the splits. Ah, relief for my knees!

I dive the local quarry and places on Lakes Michigan and Huron I’ve not yet really encountered current.

Due to current bum leg (due to shingles), I’m back to my splits (from Deep6). Some flavor of modified flutter worked well today and didn’t stir up the silty quarry bottom much.

I don’t give a flying fig what anyone thinks of my splits. They work for me for the diving I’m currently doing.
I was wondering which splits you had... sounds like you have one of the designs that got the technology from the original inventor.

I was wondering which splits you had... sounds like you have one of the designs that got the technology from the original inventor.

Not floppy at all. Quite stiff.

When I went through training with @DiveHeart, it was suggested that all of us are adaptive divers. IOW, no one really dives completely by the book. After 30 years in automotive, my knees don't flex like most. Add obesity, and I can't don my fins in the standard figure 4. So, I adapt and I never, ever demonstrate how to don fins to my students. When I got back into diving, those black Twin Jets were the bomb. I think I even still own them. As my legs got their kick back, i went back to Jets, then to Hollis and now I wear Deep6 XXL fins. Not because they are the best kicking fin, but because they just don't pinch my feet. Fit and comfort win the day for me and their ultra soft foot pocket is the bomb. Happy feet mean a happy dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom