Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a firm believer that others (especially new divers) should be loyal to the LDS. The shop needs the influx of cash to keep the doors open. I need those doors open because I need the fills.

As far as me paying retail for gear or maintenance? Don't be absurd.

If dive shops went out of business, free lance instructors would be happy to teach diving, some of them might organize trips, and there are plenty of compressed air places in any sizable town that could provide breathing gas to divers. What do you think firemen do? Actually, I guess some go to dive shops, but if that option were unavailable, others would become available.

So it might be a little less convenient to get fills, that's true. But, IMO dive training would truly improve by being separated from the retail sales part of the industry. With the current business model, dive shops train students for one reason; to create a market for their gear sales.

What do you think firemen do?

I don't think they have the same tank connections as SCUBA, but nothing an adapter couldn't fix, and I don't think they have the same air quality standards as a SCUBA compressor since they aren't using the air while under pressure, water pressure that is.

A buddy of mine works in the Fire Department and I was looking at their air fill station trying to get an inside of some low cost air fills. :D

If dive shops went out of business, free lance instructors would be happy to teach diving, some of them might organize trips, and there are plenty of compressed air places in any sizable town that could provide breathing gas to divers. What do you think firemen do? Actually, I guess some go to dive shops, but if that option were unavailable, others would become available.

DING DING DING!

winner.jpg

The most critical marketing mistake that so many business people make is forgetting the most basic principle...

DEMAND CREATES SUPPLY

...not the other way around.

Every time this topic comes up I feel so blessed ... I love my LDS. I'm in there at least a couple times a week. Every time I walk in the door it's "Hey Buddy!", warm smiles, and friendly jibing about something I posted on the Internet. I buy a lot of gear online, or from other vendors. I recently purchased a Santi drysuit and undergarment through another local dealer. What did the guys at the shop say? ... "Hey Bob, would you mind bringing it in with you? We'd like to take a look at it".

As for fills ... I pay my local dive shop $100 a month for unlimited nitrox fills. That works out to about $4 per tank over the course of a year. Win-win for us both. But I don't do it because I have to ... I do it because it's convenient, and because I truly LIKE the guys who own and run this place. Going in there is like going to a friend's house.

But if they went out of business, I'd have other options ... this here is Scott's garage ... Scott is vbcoachchris here on ScubaBoard ... that's him in the picture holding his daughter ...

IMG_3352.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm in the same boat. My LDS treats me great, I'm friends with everyone there, and I honestly just drop in to hang out and BS.

I try to buy from my LDS on as regular basis as I can....just a personal choice for me....sure I could get most things at less cost from the large internet chains....but I remember how things were (I'm probably a little older than some of you)....I used to shop at Patout Burn's Firestone store in my hometown....battery for my car cost $18.00 or $22.50 for the good one(24 month warranty)....Sam Walton came to town with a store and we could all buy the same battery over there for $14.00 to $18.50....guess what Patout's Firestone store is no more...used to go in and there was always a coffee pot full, and you could chat with Joe while he balanced tires or ask Tommy how the family was doing while he changed out my battery, don't know what happened to Joe and Tommy, think they went to work in the oil patch......change happens, isn't good or bad it's just changing times.....do I lament for the days when I could spend time in the local "mom & pop" stores--you bet I do, can I see the day the LDS's will follow the same fate, guess that is going to happen to some degree and that to is just another fact of how times change.

Look at all that gear:) you could sell it all and by a breather and use the leftover to go on a trip.

My first "local" LDS was about an hours driver for me but they were near the shore so it was worth it, so in the scheme of things you can shop where you wish but there is nothing like doing the "touchy feely" and even better when they let you try gear in the pool without any comittment, I do not believe that any LDS in their right mind expects you to buy everything from them ad infinitum that is also part of being a good diver learnign where to get the right gear you need at the best price, most us of work hard for our money so it only makes sense that you woudl want to shop around. They are very necessary to promote and support the sport, hanging out chewing the fat with friends and getting ribbed is great fun and hey you even get to spread pearls of wisdom to the newbs:)

Look at all that gear:) you could sell it all and by a breather and use the leftover to go on a trip.

Not really, Scott's a tech instructor and needs all that gear. Besides, a lot of it belongs to those of us who dive together regularly. One set of those doubles, two deco bottles and two of those argon bottles are mine, in fact. Those more or less stay there when I'm not using them. The rest of my tanks (one set of doubles and about 20 singles of various sizes) are in my garage. Those are what I use recreationally, and what my LDS sees every week.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom