Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A nice air compressor that's large enough for me and my buddy can be had for significantly less than $5000, and the local gas supplier would be thrilled to drop off a tank of O2, which would allow me to do partial pressure blending for the cost of an O2-compatible fill whip and pressure gauge.

Terry

My wife and I take our boat out locally as often as time and weather conditions allow, but that probably amounts to no more than 25 outings (100 tank fills) per year.

Just out of curiosity I recently looked into the purchase of a small compressor. The cheapest ones I could find run about $3,500 new. Assuming a savings of $5.00 per fill and 100 fills per year, it would take 7 years to pay off the investment.

Operating costs (filters, electricity and maintenance) would make the ROI even worse, but could be partially offset by fuel savings from not having to drive to the LDS for tank fills.

Bottom line is, unless I was going to be filling more than 200-300 tanks per year, buying my own compressor doesn't really pencil out.

I'm all for having local dive shops stay in business if they can but the air fill argument always sounds more like blackmail to me.

All of the other arguments are good ones but a shop had better have a better business model than "what are you going to do for air if I don't make it?".

Dive trips though shops generally aren't cheaper than going on your own and it's because someone at the shop is getting a free trip rather than distributing that savings to everyone going. A reason for going with the shop on a trip is that you like the people you're going with.

The LDS that I use does not care where I buy my stuff. He'll service it just as if I bought it from him and he does it for a reasonable price. He takes care of my old, vintage stuff as well as anything new I've bought, either from him or online. He serviced my old Conshelf XIs with all new Titan parts for $45 each. He hydros, inspects and fills tanks for $35 (annual inspection, w/air fill, is $13) and, except for a few bucks to help pay for gas, charges nothing for dive trips out on the Ohio River on his boat. He's quick and ready to answer questions and give advice with a cheerful smile. His shop is small and the inventory he sells in his shop is limited (he makes most of his money on service and instruction) but what he has is competitively priced with most of the online dealers. If he doesn't have what you want, or can't match a lower price online, he's the first to suggest going to an online dealer. He knows you'll be coming to him for service.

He charges $8 for air fills (to help cover the cost of filters and such) and regulator service is $25 plus parts. He's been in business for over thirty years and I figure he'll be around for quite awhile longer.

Oh, and he knows what a J valve is and how to fill a tank equipped with one.

I enjoy working with my LDS. Service is great, pricing is good and it's great to meet other divers that stop by all the time. It's more then just a shop, it's a window into the dive world! When your LDS is gone you are going to miss it!!! :D

I use my LDS for the majority of my purchases. I just bought a new computer and his price was better than I could get online. Having owned my own business for a lot of years, (not a dive shop) I know what it takes to stay open. Yes many things are cheaper on line, and I have bought some things on line. Yes I could buy a compressor, but don't have the spare cash to pay for one and don't really want to service my own regs. I will continue to support my dive shop. and a good part of it is the friendship, advice and simply supporting local business. They are my neighbors, and yeah I may pay a bit more, but then his business pays taxes so I figure it evens out.

Where would we get our airfills if there were no LDS? .

That is just not a reasonable question.

The question should be, " How far will I have to drive to get an air fill?" And the answer for most of us, even if you just randomly eliminated half of the LDS is probably less the 10 miles more than you drive today. I'd like to see Darwin do his thing.

Why do you need an LDS?? Because they make it easy. Especially if you are unwilling to learn about gear and don't want to waste time shopping.

"To use the EtherFill 5000, connect the Ethernet cable on the EtherFill 5000 to any RJ45 Ethernet port on your computer or network hub. Then connect the fill whip on the EtherFill 5000 to your cylinder. Visit the Fill Express Web site, and use your prepaid Nitrox or Trimix Fill Card where you can buy gas by the cubic foot. Attest that you are certified to use the gas you are about to download. Then begin downloading your gas fills from the Internet directly into your cylinder, using the EtherFill 5000. Watch the gauge, and when your cylinder is full, just close the handwheel on the fill whip, or abort the download."

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Can you use your PayBuddy account?

My thing is when I go and buy localy I dont mind a 10 dollar or so markup. But when I asked one shop about a reel for diving with an iflatable sausage they quoted 60 dollars at minimum. Now I work as hard for my money as they do for theirs so I shopped around. Leisurepro had one for 12 dollars so it made perfectly good sense to buy one and have it shipped at 7 dollars with no tax bringing it up to 19 dollars hand delivered to my door. at a savings of 40 dollars Id be a for not saving.

My argument is simple. When a dive shop owner goes looking for a car he doesnt say hes going to go ahead and pay the MSRP to keep the dealership alive he shops around. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

I love my LDS but I have to cut corners the same as they do so if they are economical then I buy from them. If its more economical to save 50 dollars by buying from the terrible dark internet LDS killer known as Leisure pro then I buy there. A dollar saved is a dollar earned

I use my LDS for training/courses (rescue diver coming up!), service and repair, swap out batteries on computers, wetsuits etc...

If it is just 10 or 15% price difference, I'll stick with them for the reasons of instant gratification, instant salesman's advice, being able to touch+feel and look at the actual item before purchase and the saving of delivery fees. Buying with a manufacturers warranty is important to me too, and when I buy on the web, I only buy from authorised dealers. Where there is a LARGE difference in price, I go to the 'net. (eg: BCD, regulator, computer).

I also join their dive club and meet up with groups to go diving in Monterey.

Please share your thoughts.

Yawn.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom