Why Should I Join NAUI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why should you join NAUI? Well, rumor has it, if you don't, they will send an instructor to your house middle of the night and shave your cat.
At $50-plus per grooming appointment, getting your cat shaved for free would be a stone-cold bargain.

I dive with new divers periodically. The local dive shop will often ask me to buddy up with new divers that show up at shop dives without a buddy. I am always happy to help out, but when it was suggested that I get the DM certification, it was a flat “no”. As a DM you are identifying as a professional and will assume some liability if things go south. You might beat it in court, eventually, but it will be expensive.

As a dive buddy, I am a co-equal and if another diver makes a bad decision, it was his. I might get sued anyway, but I was not marketing myself as a “dive professional.” Even if you never get in the water, the family may decide that your failure to warn them about something could be construed as contributing to an accident, because you were a “professional.” A family that loses its sole source of support may be desperate and look at you as a possible lifeline.

If you get the cert, look at the cost of insurance. I am not a lawyer or a dive professional, but have a vivid imagination.

Mirrors my reason as well to not do my DM although suggested numerous times. I was responsible for others my whole adult life, I prefer to not do it while diving or have the liability as a professional.

We go from joining NAUI to shaving cats.

ScubaBoard is back up and fully operational.

Off topic, sorry:
Only one cat, I have four crab pots !
Said this to my wife's granddaughters to their horror.:eek:
Edit: Have been with NAUI for over 30 years [and it shows].:p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom