Why remove NDL planner in tec modes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking it out loud here.

I understand that shearwater algorithms don't take more than two into account for dive planning.
They take activated cylinders only.
Therefore you could have four tanks on you with only a single t1 transmitter and the algorithm would work. Dive planning algorithm.

It appears that they've programmed two transmitters as such:
T1: planned cylinders
Can be two and more

T2: backup cylinder
Your bail out - usually the 40% and above ean tank
I think you may be confusing Shearwater's calculations of gas on-and-off gassing with its calculations of Gas Time Remaining. The former depends on which gas mixtures are activated, and has nothing to do with AI; the latter uses only gas pressure in either T1 or T2 (you choose, the computer does not) and has nothing to do with which gases are activated.

I agree

Why can't OC/TEC mode also have the NDL planner alongside the deco planner.

I now have to jump to REC mode to see NDL planning and then back to TEC mode

Actually, it does. It's a bit of a workaround, though:

1. Go to Dive Setup -> Deco Planner
2. Set target depth, RVM and time = 5 min (minimum allowed)

As long as the intended bottom time is within NDL for the gas & GF, the computer comes back with something like "No Deco Stops. Total NDL at 30m is 16 minutes."

It takes your current tissue loading into account AFAIK.

Found that work around last weekend too

What’s an NDL? All dives are deco dives and need planning accordingly.

You don’t use a dive computer for planning, you use an app like MultiDeco and plan your gasses to the depth and runtime. No decompression limits don’t come into planning considerations.

Oops, talking tec there.

NDLs are only of importance to recreational "no deco" dives. That they’re missing from tec mode is of no consequence.

BTW tec mode on a Shearwater shows the NDL until there’s a ceiling, when it changes to ceiling.

T
BTW tec mode on a Shearwater shows the NDL until there’s a ceiling, when it changes to ceiling.
The issue is planning, not diving.

I figured out how to show NDL in
technical mode.

After selecting your gas, go into dive planner and set dive time to something low. Say five minutes.

It'll tell you ndl for that gas and depth.

CNS? Unlikely to be of any real relevance in recreational dives. Most definitely an issue with repetitive technical diving and especially with rebreathers and if using 100% for decompression on deep (=long) dives.

Again, you don’t use the computer's planner for technical diving. You use a proper planner like MultiDeco on your phone/tablet/laptop. This does include residual gas loadings.

NDLs are only of importance to recreational "no deco" dives. That they’re missing from tec mode is of no consequence.

You assume a rec diver wouldn't want their computer in tec mode. Rec mode has a much less configurable display. A rec diver might want the "tec" display layout, while still having access to the NDL planner.

You assume a rec diver wouldn't want their computer in tec mode. Rec mode has a much less configurable display. A rec diver might want the "tec" display layout, while still having access to the NDL planner.

True.
I've had my perdix in technical mode after 5 dives in rec mode.
Much more information.

Back
Top Bottom