Why recreational backmount doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like different gear for different dives.

Skinny doubles (or triples) are nice & tight to your back & a good choice for penetrating certain tight spaces. They are sleek enough to provide an advantage in heavy currents.

These days, steel singles, with good buoyancy characteristics, can be had with lots of capacity, so all the extra hardware and expense that goes along with a set of doubles is not needed, if all you want is more air on your back.

In some more advanced settings, the redundancy of a hog rig doubles-set would be considered prudent or even necessary.

If you want an inexpensive tank for low difficulty diving on a budget, then an AL80 can still prove it's worth.

All that being the case, a steel 72 is what currently sits in the back of my truck, along with a full set of gear, just in case I feel the need to jump in the water on short notice somewhere. I'm still fond of a steel 72 for general purpose rec diving.

I own a wide variety of different size scuba tanks, Each has it's purpose.

I like different gear for different dives.

Skinny doubles (or triples) are nice & tight to your back & a good choice for penetrating certain tight spaces. They are sleek enough to provide an advantage in heavy currents.

These days, steel singles, with good buoyancy characteristics, can be had with lots of capacity, so all the extra hardware and expense that goes along with a set of doubles is not needed, if all you want is more air on your back.

In some more advanced settings, the redundancy of a hog rig doubles-set would be considered prudent or even necessary.

If you want an inexpensive tank for low difficulty diving on a budget, then an AL80 can still prove it's worth.

All that being the case, a steel 72 is what currently sits in the back of my truck, along with a full set of gear, just in case I feel the need to jump in the water on short notice somewhere. I'm still fond of a steel 72 for general purpose rec diving.

I own a wide variety of different size scuba tanks, Each has it's purpose.
There is a picture of a triple set in this thread, I ever only saw one diver with a triples setup.

Skinny doubles (or triples) are nice & tight to your back
This is very true. It feels so free,
My Russian doubles are beautiful (5"dia.) Especially with my scooter.
But my triples hold more air and are very nice to dive, one day I'll probably make a harness with no back plate,

20220130_125254.jpg20220130_125525.jpg

Same for me.
Even for a purely recreational dive in a lake (20 meters), it’s going to be the same Tech equipment setup (twin12 etc) than for a cave dive (except purely cave specific stuff).
The reason : familiarity and standardization
Not to mention needing additional kit for a single configuration: BCD and different regulator configuration. Different techniques required too: swimming out of trim, scissor kicking, using hands to turn, etc.

Different techniques required too: swimming out of trim, scissor kicking, using hands to turn, etc
Why would you need to swim out of trim in non-doubles, scissor kick, and use hands to turn??

but double 7x300's are sweet for winter diving.
Could you convert that into American for me please? (Is that 2 bottles X 7 liters each at 300 BAR?) They do look nice!

Indeed! No penetrating for me, but double 7x300's are sweet for winter diving. (Single 12 and AL40 for scale.)

View attachment 704207

Could you convert that into American for me please? (Is that 2 bottles X 7 liters each at 300 BAR?) They do look nice!
Is that the same as our LP50? Edit - Seems not as LP50 are 7.8L per tank spec. page... Those do look interesting...

So they are a hp40? FX40BKDV? Interesting.....

Edit - nope, those are 5L....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom