Why recreational backmount doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is twice the gas (and dive time) for the same dive trip - unless you change your cylinder half-way during the dive.
It is better balanced - sidemount is of course superior.
Safety benefits (two first stages) in overhead environments.

You do a longer single dive, say two hours. Easy if you’ve the right kit and skills.

Example, 35m/120ft wreck. Easy enough on a single (plus pony or a solid buddy) but you’re rather restricted to a short 45 to 60 min dive. With a twinset+deco gas it’s an easy 90 to 120 min dive. On a rebreather it’s whatever you want to do.

If you’ve 4 hours of steaming to and from the site it makes no sense to do a short dive, and doubly so to do an NDL dive.

I never asked myself why I use doubles, always seemed obvious, more bottom time when I want it and redundancy when I'm solo diving.

Most operators in SE Asia do not have twin set unless it is tec diving friendly.
11L tank is enough for me for a single dive to 40m(non deco).
No one dies from having too much gas!!!

This being in the Advanced Forum and the subject pertaining to "recreational" use and not technical use, I will say certainly for me that there is little or really no reason outside of solo if even then to use twin sets. Air/gas, is not the limiting factor most of the time for me, deco is. And advanced divers and recreational divers do not routinely perform overhead/deco dives. I can easily get into deco on an aluminum 64. Redundancy, like what? I have a buddy, that is my redundancy and if I am solo I would carry a pony so that I do not need to handle that weight of a full size cylinders on my back outside of the water. And solo diving, at the advanced level certs is non-deco. I do not need full size back mounted tanks or ungainly and complicated rigging of side mounted tanks for buddy recreational or solo recreational dives.

James

Unlike @Nemrod I have never been able to reach NDL at any depth with any of the single tanks I own. My tank slinging trial time was enough for me to discover that wasn't for me.

So, for me doubles have always been the way to go if I wanted more bottom time or redundancy. Mike Nelson's triple tanks were always a source of envy to me!

HP large capacity tanks can probably fill that need pretty well these days. Redundancy however still requires 2 tanks.

What's redundancy anyway, more tanks or diving within the bounds of what you have

Ungainly:
Delving underwater with your tanks affixed to you with string then pretending to dive
Yeah it's in the dikshunary

Unlike @Nemrod I have never been able to reach NDL at any depth with any of the single tanks I own. My tank slinging trial time was enough for me to discover that wasn't for me.

So, for me doubles have always been the way to go if I wanted more bottom time or redundancy. Mike Nelson's triple tanks were always a source of envy to me!

HP large capacity tanks can probably fill that need pretty well these days. Redundancy however still requires 2 tanks.
I remember :wink: my instructor said:wink: that it was impossible to go into deco with a steel 72 because that is why that capacity was developed. Huh! An aluminum 64 is all I need to bust deco at anything over 60 feet or so. And when I dive tables or square profiles I use the old Navy Tables because I know them even for multilevel dives by heart and can compute on the fly. But then I got me some new fangled 'puters so with some evasive (of deco) planning I could exhaust an 80 and not go into deco I suppose, if I went deep and then came up shallow and strung the dive out. I just do not need doubles for any sort of non-deco recreational dives unless we are doing the Spiegel or something like that and staying at 130 feet for the duration. And even then I do okay with an aluminum 80.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom