Why Piston vs. Diaphragm???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
what are you smoking dude?!!!:D

Nobody does a first stage repair underwater.

Maybe if they are in a submarine underwater. The myths go on and on.

cerich:
what are you smoking dude?!!!:D

Nobody does a first stage repair underwater.

What, you don't bring your #6 spanner, hex wrenches, IP gauge, and bench vise down with you? STROKE! :wink:

Daniel, *2nd* stage "repairs" (clearing debris by opening the diaphragm cover) are not unheard of underwater, but there's not much you can do with a 1st stage without tools.

I'm not sure how much underwater repair I would get into, but I don't think that anyone is suggesting replacing the HP seat while underwater.

I have seen people switch second stages underwater. I believe this is what "they" are referring to. I guess that the same would go for switching first stages onto another bottle.

Yes, in both cases the first stage will flood, regardless of design. I've heard that pistons will tolerate a flooded first stage better.

Are you guys telling me that you did not get your torque wrench environmentally sealed?:confused:

awap:
Are you guys telling me that you did not get your torque wrench environmentally sealed?:confused:

My torque wrench is made of solid marine grade stainless steel. Isn't everyone's?

Anyhow, I use Apeks DS4s for first stages on my doubles and deco/stage regs because they are environmentally sealed (I dive year round in New England) and parts are easy to get ahold of. My single tank regulator is a ScubaPro MK25. I have never had a problem with it in cold water, though I know several people who have. My cold water single tank dives are usually shallow enough that I don't concern myself much with regulator failures, otherwise I would probably switch to DS4s. The Mk25 routes and breathes really sweet.

I smell a new specialty course Comrade Divers.

How does piston vs diaphragm mitigate changing or clearing a first stage? It makes no difference to the first stage WHICH you use.

However, anyone who thinks this is needed in an openwater environment is clearly the "clown" in this case.

NetDoc:
How does piston vs diaphragm mitigate changing or clearing a first stage? It makes no difference to the first stage WHICH you use.

However, anyone who thinks this is needed in an openwater environment is clearly the "clown" in this case.
Damn, that's twice today that I've been called a clown :D

Seriously, it's pretty extreme and the average diver shouldn't have to do this. I think it's more a way to resolve long deco's and malfunctioning regs. I don't think it ever shows up a first choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom