Why not No Viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

De-fog? We don't need no stinkin' de-fog.

(We can't see where we're going anyway!)

As for an acronym...how about DIB?

"Diving It Blind"

I'm likin' it! The only thing I could come up with was DMV for Diving w/ Minimal Visibilty. I haven't had time to come up with any appropriate derrogatory terms, though.

What about a Tabloid diver? Folks on the front of Tabloids are always trying to position themselves to been seen and be talked about. And then there are the folks chasing after them with cameras trying to get a pic. Everybody who is DINV knows you can't been seen in that stuff either to have a pic taken or to take a pic. Maybe the low vis divers are like Vegas divers--what is done in low vis--stays in the low vis.

DIRC (Do It Ray Charles)

Cheaters (Light Needers)
Heaters (Warmth Needers)
Beaters (Cause of low viz sometimes)

LEADERS DIRC Style!

CSSP below 30' was perfect DIRC conditions this weekend. On a Nav dive back from the plane, my DM ran her head into the platform. (She's OK, platform dented..):dork2:

You want know how it happens…

Then you take a trip to Cozumel.
You’re at 132ft hanging on the wall at Punta Sur.
Computer says 82 degrees, NDL is ticking by and then a large barracuda swims by.
Your wife is smiling at you…
The water is blue, warm, clear and you are wearing just a 3mil suit.
You don’t need you HID light and you just swam through a nice sand chute.
Your camera is happy because it has light and the scenery in front of you is incredible.
Instead of the typical 65ft landing pad its 85ft and the crew of six is all advanced divers or better. Everyone o.k.’s in and you are ready to go.

How does this happen.
The day before you start an insurrection while everyone is on the dock waiting for boats.
I yelled- anyone interested in Punta Sur- please come speak to me….

It was Pavlov ringing the dinner bell- some people look at you strange and then suddenly four people come out of the wood work. Just have to say the right thing.

Now, you want me to dive no-vis water again.
I have learned in no vis, taught in no-vis. Enjoyed many a no vis dive.
But Cozumel just ruins you!

Andrew

Heater.jpg

Andrew we still hold out a 'small glimmer' of hope for your gin clear water issues.....dang mate you live in TEXAS!!! :D

Hey there is nothing wrong with Texas freshwater diving.
Diving by Brail or HK Helen Keller diving as we have called it.

My last freshwater dive was on an Diverite Optima rebreather- 40minutes at 35 ft max.
The dive was great, more gas than I knew what to do with.
Sitting on top of the jet body as a large bass and herd of fry swam by.
Now, that’s the diving I am after…

Andrew

Andrew we still hold out a 'small glimmer' of hope for your gin clear water issues.....dang mate you live in TEXAS!!! :D

I just got back a little over a week ago from some blue water diving. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it but at the same time being able to see 100 ft in front of you really took part of the challenge and mystery out of it. By the time you got where you were going you already knew what was there, you could see it 100 ft ago. I also mistakenly took my compass down on the first dive at which point I realized compasses are completely unnecessary when diving in 100 ft of vis. I actually enjoy the challenge of navigating out to an object and 100 ft of vis pretty much eliminates that challenge. Even if you're navigating to something way out there that does require a compass you can be off by a huge margin and still find your target, seems like cheating to me. But what was really telling was when the vis dropped to 40' and I started to see people actually freak out a little bit. They were all complaining how horrible the vis was and how it was hard to find the boat, I was like are you kidding me? So I guess I truly am a swamp diver. Now I'm not saying I like swamp diving more, just that it has an attraction all it's own. I do prefer blue water, but I must say I was looking forward to getting back to the swamp this last weekend.

Now for the CSSP vis comment. I like lower vis but not quite Helen Keller diving. The vis down below 31 ft at CSSP this weekend was utter crap. A foot or two where we dropped down, so I did spend my time above that thermo where the vis was a lovely 6-8 ft. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom