Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
The word "fundamental" says it all because fundamentalism connotes certain characteristics whether art, religion, etc.
Fundamental as in Foundation...as in something to build apon.

gcbryan:
I know DIR is not a cult but it's funny than even in this thread everyone keeps referring to JJ, GI3, MHK. What other discussion of diving ever involves name dropping? Who cares what JJ said. If it's valuable why not just pass the info along. Why is it so important to continue to preface valuable information with "JJ said"?

For what's it's worth I think DIRF would teach many people many things that would be worthwhile.
Are you familiar with these people and where they fit into the scheme of things DIR?

TSandM:
One of the things I wanted to do was get a handle on WHY people who think it would be a good class aren't taking it, because there might be a way to address those issues. For example, offering equipment rental at a reduced cost might be a possibility.

Lynne, you know this, but I'll throw my thoughts out for conversational purposes.

I'll take it soon. Probably at around 50-60 dives in a dry suit. I for one want to go the tech route eventually, so I think I'll take it in doubles, which means getting into and comfortable with doubles first. With that in mind, I love the idea of having a pre-fundies seminar that helps with the basic skills, I agree that you don't want to develop bad muscle memory there. Although I've been holding out in hopes of the 5thd-X crew making another visit to Seattle, if Steve is doing another seminar, let me know.

There certainly is a non-trivial gear component here. I was lucky enough to have a bunch of GUE trained divers help me with gear choices, so there isn't much besides transitioning to doubles that would need to be done. That being said, I'm still probably looking at $1000 to do that-and I already have the tanks . . . so this isn't cheap. For someone that doesn't have the gear, it is a significant commitment before they've really gotten a feel for what DIR means in the water (not on a bulletin board).

But, I certainly didn't pick up diving with the idea of helping to fill my bank account or to keep my credit card debt down . . . so I'll be doing this soon.

catherine96821:
I I like thinking for myself, and to follow a pre-determined set of solutions actually detracts from my diving enjoyment. I am not a conformist.
Catherine: Very well said.

SparticleBrane:
You must have missed my post....

I got your point. I was referring to many of the other posts in this thread.

jbd:
Are you familiar with these people and where they fit into the scheme of things DIR?

Yes.

jbd:
I know that I always listen to what GI3 has to say about cold water diving.

I haven't taken the course because it's unheard of pretty much in the tropics. But this makes me think, why doesn't a GUE instuctor set up shop in one of the major dive resort areas and pick up the fresh OW students looking to do AOW? It seems there might be a real opportunity there.

Just to reiterate -- I didn't start the thread to ask why people don't want to take Fundies. I started it to ask why people who DO want to take it, or think they might, have not done so. We've had lots of discussions here about why people don't want to dive DIR, and I doubt there's any utility to having another one.

why doesn't a GUE instuctor set up shop in one of the major dive resort areas and pick up the fresh OW students looking to do AOW?

Fraser Purdon is on Grand Cayman, and Benji Schaub is on Bonaire.

These are some of the excuses I have heard from real people and some of the reasons that might have delayed my own Fundies fun. But I have not taken Fundies – or have I??? Because of the stigma I would not publicly tout about it now would I? Hah.

Course price. I think many of you have very outdated information about the price. Or are you kidding me. The three ‘most local’ courses to me run at $400 (furthest), $500 and $550. All these are if the course is run at the instructor’s base, so expect add-ons if anything changes. I can see from GUE site that not everyone runs the course in the full-fledged new 4-day format yet. All my ‘local’ instructors do.

Other course expenses. Because none of the course is truly local and because all courses start early morning the 1st day, expenses basically involve minimum 4 days in a hotel, and all other out-of-home expenses. Two of the sites in my case are 4-5hrs away, and recently one instructor appeared on the map 2hr 45mins away. Huge improvement but still cannot make it from home for 4 long days.

Taking time off. It’s a financial hit but many simply cannot get time off for a 4-day gig, especially not same time with buddy. Many are more reluctant if there is no guarantee that the course will actually happen too.

Gear expenses. Most people do not have their gear even half as compatible as I do/did, and I grimace for all I have lost in this swap. I know one can rent but the fact is that if you are committed at some point you’d convert. How many really are taking Fundies just to check it out? Mentally at least you have to clear the hurdle.

Buddy. Many do not see the value in taking the course if buddy, spouse, partner, team is not willing to commit too. Even less so if aforementioned souls are particularly against it.

Stigma and lumping. It might be enough for many to be snorted at gearing into a back plate & long hose. Some do not want to attract negative reactions, some are more shy etc and do not wish to be answering questions if they are DIR or not. Some do not want to be automatically affiliated with ANY group just because of what they wear.

Competition. See above plus some just do not need to be strive to be the best in everything. It’s enough to just be safe and average or improve in small increments under decent instruction. No need to get the instruction from the best of the best. Some people do not want to become acutely aware of how poor divers they are either. It’s anxious enough to think about it on their own.

Ownership and absolutism. Some feel they have to sell their soul and instructors will be ‘on their case’ after the course. There has been some talk about signing papers after the course, and all that cult-stuff people are talking about. Makes people feel pretty silly. Same goes for the either-or- religiousness, either things are DIR or not, conditions do not matter. Annoyance at things like “if it does not improve the dive, leave it behind” etc that close out discussion on things that might be very important to divers who struggle with eg physical limitations.

Internet DIR “discussions”. Self-explanatory. There are many who do not meet the so called real DIR divers (you?) in real life. There is way more exposure to DIR-bashers in real life. Some real nice guys too.

Ok I am getting tired. I think $100 a day for quality instruction from anybody really isn’t much. It’s less than PADI AOW runs locally per day for way less hours. For two people to take couple of days off work, dish out $1500 to just get a room and the course, – now that’s a week in Bonaire right there, and stops many. I can see that if you are alone, it can get you but stop whining if it’s $300, weekend course and around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom