why not doubles on AL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but one potential problem is if you travel and can't get a DIN tank there, the converters suck as they move the reg forward enough to hit you in the head on singles.

You can just convert back to yoke for those times; you have to wrench the regs anyway to put your backup back on your primary first for those instances....

you can also rotate the tank in the bands so that the 1st stage is offset either to port or starboard (depending on which 1st stage you're using) and then it won't hit you in the back of the head!

FIXXERVI6 -

Its been said previously, but its important enough to bear repeating. There is more to transitioning to doubles than good advice off ScubaBoard. If, after the past few months, you're still moving in this direction...

Dude: Take a class. IANTD. TDI. ANDI. GUE. The alphabet part doesn't matter at this stage as much as the need to have a patient instructor who will answer all your questions and cover the relevant material. It may not be rocket science, but in any endeavor that can hurt or kill you God is in the details. Pay someone to go over this stuff in detail.

Regards,

Doc

8buck once bubbled...
Hey I have five al80's and was wanting yall's yea and nays about double al80's and do cavers dive with them?????? am gonna set up a set and someone i was talking to seem to think i need steel??? i have read many many post on yeas for al80's

I have heard that 80's are sometimes preferrable for stage bottles if you are already diving a set of steel doubles and still need big stage tanks. They are not nearly as negative as most steel tanks when full and a regular old AL 80 will be slightly positive and will ride nicely in a streamlined position when empty if you rig it properly.

I was thinking that when my time comes for my cave cert i will switch over to din is that a good decision. I have been diving for many years on my yokes and have never had any type of mishaps. i was also looking at the thermo vavles and manifold e-bay had a couple new ones full sets i saw a couple post on here on that kind do any of you guys or ladies have the same???

I prefer the Sea Elite's to the Thermos, but just barely. Either are good choices. The Sea Elite has only a turn and a half to shut off, which, if you really need to shut down, is a good thing.

Its also a relatively "slow" valve when turned on, which allows you to slowly pressurize things - good for HP seat life.

8buck once bubbled... I was thinking that when my time comes for my cave cert i will switch over to din is that a good decision. I have been diving for many years on my yokes and have never had any type of mishaps. i was also looking at the thermo vavles and manifold e-bay had a couple new ones full sets i saw a couple post on here on that kind do any of you guys or ladies have the same???
It would be pretty tough to beat the Sea Elite manifolds out of Divers Supply.

When I first started diving the aluminum jugs were all the rage. I bought a USD Pro 80 when the movie Jaws came out. Silver too...jus like the Dreyfus character. When I started my naval career, the Navy was diving twin 72 steel. EOD wanted a non metallic so they came up with a aluminum 90 with the infamous plug in the bottom. I was able to get a set and made doubles out of them. I also had a set of steel 72's to boot. The 90's eventually were phased out due to the plug dislocating during jamming. Very scary for the operator. As time went on the Navy vasalated with the steel/aluminum contoversy. They used the aluminum 50's for awhile but only the high speed dive lockers got those. They finally settled on the aluminum 80. Now we get to dive them in doubles forever. The aluminum 100 is also around now and again but usually isn't used due to the fact that the USN hates using singles for anything other than standby diver. So as time goes on maybe someone will find something heavier and more cumbersome for us USN divers to lug around. Honestly...give me my aluminum twin 50"s anyday. Still diving those and happy to say the best twin set up around.

Thousands of folks use double aluminum 80's, me included. I know a guy that has 3 sets.
Norm

Back
Top Bottom