Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg:
Are you serious or making it up as you go, these myths are so...2002. :wink:

No, there is no "no computer" clause.

Why would I make it up as I go? If you were asking me about photography, would I say, "do you really not know these things"?

You make a good point about diving with others Jeff. I have seen a post on this board saying they would not dive with any Non-DIR divers ever, even on holidays. As I said, it was one time. I would think that DIR guys would dive with any competent diver in an open water situation, it's the advanced Tech dives that there has to be qualified people with you.

catherine96821:
I guess its not available on-line. Okay, thanks. Well, I will definetly have respect if they add a rigorous math test because some agency exams get circulated a little too much. Free DM for LDS=test .
I have a copy of all that paper nonsense on my business laptop if you really want it. (You should of seen some of the answers I gave LOL)

Remember the DIR-F course doesn't certify a person for anything other than taking another GUE course.

Yea, I want to see it. And it sure would be better than me running around asking everyone. Besides I have a friend who is seriously considering it.

Diver Dennis:
I would think that DIR guys would dive with any competent diver in an open water situation
Pretty much. I have use Rule #1 in real life for only one person. It would take a lot to piss me off on OW dive.

Diver Dennis:
it's the advanced Tech dives that there has to be qualified people with you.
Not just qualified...on the same page (for a team based approach to diving anyways).

Cathrine,
I apologize if you felt I was poking fun at you, I was just being silly. DIR is more about your approach to diving than anything else. When I took my fundamentals class I had to fill out a registration form but that was it. All tests were in the water and we were not sworn to secrecy on anything. It's not that we are not allowed to swim with some one is not DIR, more so that we should not dive with some one who is unsafe (including oneself). I would say that's a good attitude weather your DIR or not. It's also a personal choice and not a mandate from some higher authority.

Now we will have to see what kind of things I will have to sign when I take the tech diver course with 5thd-x next week.

P.S. since we live on the same island...I would dive with you.

onfloat:
Now we will have to see what kind of things I will have to sign when I take the tech diver course with 5thd-x next week.
IIRC...Only GUE has the odd rules.

1) Do X number of dives every 3 yrs at your cert level. (I think its 25 dives)
and
2) Don't dive past your cert level.

These two rules give them the "out" to not re-issue the GUE cert card.

Since, you will probably getting the NAUI course, they won't be able to take your card away from you.

JeffG:
Pretty much. I have use Rule #1 in real life for only one person. It would take a lot to piss me off on OW dive.

Not just qualified...on the same page (for a team based approach to diving anyways).

Yeah, I can see the need for people to be on the same page and someone you can trust, even in open water.

catherine96821:
Why would I make it up as I go? If you were asking me about photography, would I say, "do you really not know these things"?

Sorry, but its just that some of that stuff reminds me of the post of a few years back, "I heard that DIR guys arent supposed to eat red meat", you know that sorta thing.

But If I ever post something asking that "If I take a basic photo class is it true I have to sign a contract stating that I cant____________ (insert something wierd here)?"

Then yes please ask me if Im serious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom