Why no one uses tank boots on doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...why no one uses tank boots on their doubles? ...//... What is the disadvantage?

Depends on the situation. Some dive boat configurations make tank boots very desirable. See attached pic. -everything bungied in place and very stable even in high seas. Note first and second dive tanks neatly stowed. Tank sets without boots can skate forward and fall under rough condtions.

3. The majority of single tanks you're going to encounter are aluminum. The majority of doubles are going to be steel.
Thats actually VERY dependant of where you are in the world. Around here almost all tanks are steel, singles as well as doubles..

As with other I remove the boots after every trip to make sure they are dry. Using them without boots causes the surface to scratch and cause even greater rust potential.

The boots also make kitting up doubles a lot easier.

This has been my observation as well. That is why I started this post.

Tanks get scratched on the sides more than the bottom any ways.

This totally not true for steel double without tank boots. Most of steel double I see, the bottom of both tank usually have scratch came off and show surface rust. The pattern of the rust is narrow strip across the bottom perpendicular to the directrion of the manifild. It is exactly the area where the double makes contact with other surface. It is very obvious on white paint tanks (ex. faber LP85), still noticeabe on galvanized finished. One of my friend put marine grade epoxy there to mitigate the problem. But I was thinking why not just leave tank boots on.

Tank boots are a bad idea with steel tanks. It traps the salt water around the boot can causes pitting and rust. If you use tank boots on steel tanks you really need to take them off everytime after you dive, rise them really well (the tank and the boot), dry them and then you can put them back on. It is a pain to do so most people dont bother

That is just plain incorrect. The first tank boots had no holes for water to drain, they were a problem. Somebody patented holes in the boots for water to drain and did well by it.

Just rinse the tanks after use in salt water. I have a bunch of 72's that *indicate* your statement as being either biased or uninformed.

+1 to that lowviz. (other than the bunch, I only have some)
They look better under the boot than anywhere else on the tank, cause theres no scratches where the boots are. That is of course painted steel. Not that Id take untreated steel under water in the first place..

I dive with the boots on even in the caves. Never had a problem but again I use the ones with smooth rims vice the ones with high point lobes. Seen more tanks fall over, usually by the bootless round bottom sliding out. I often check for rust whick has not been a problem withy my steel white painted 120's.

I dive with the boots on even in the caves......

dropmouth.gif
Noooooo! You will surely become trapped and drown. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom