why more than 60-100' of line for a DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer as always it depends on where you dive and the conditions

Regarding spools and line length. I only use the Apex Lifeline Spools. 90% of the time the 45m (147ft) line length is more than plenty, even with current and taking into account line scope. However I have a few times launched from 25m depth and almost run all the out on my 60m spool. If the current is blowing then I attach the bigger spool before I jump

Regarding DSMB, where I dive and oral inflate is a waste of time. Size matters with it on the surface. My weapon of choice has always been the AP Crack bottle DSMB although appreciate these aren't seen in the US.

I also appreciate my choice of equipment is costly, however I shoot a DSMB every dive, which might be 150+ times a year and all my gear has withstood the harsh environment of the Middle East heat and UV (I'm on my 2nd DSMB because they do break down over time)

From what I've seen, the length tops out about 4 ft in the closed bottom type. I like the simplicity of closed bottom with oral inflate, but some dive locations demand larger.
LMAO, here one for ya in flaming pink, but I'm not judging :D

I use the 3' all black dsmb from Piranha. Recently diving in fairly calm water we quizzed the captain and he said the black stands out against the windex water of the caribbean as much as the orange does.

If you are running your primary donate on a long hose I would recommend the closed bottom. The open duck bill is better if you are inflating with your octo.
That's tiny.

Black may not be recognised by other water users as "diver below" -- including some boat skippers. It's only good in certain sun directions. It's definitely not useful if overcast.

If you're diving in the sea you need a full-size SMB, not a training-sized one. Girth matters as much as length.

I'm contemplating this one right now, which would seem to meet my needs. Orange 420D nylon, 4.5' tall, closed bottom, over inflate valve, SS D-ring, SOLAS tape and rolls up small with a bungee for about 50 bucks:

Sorry this is my primary DSMB

If I were back in the Red Sea and used a black DSMB, I think all my Muslim dive buddies would laugh, tell me I’ve converted and that it’s heartwarming to see me rockin’ a sub-aquatic call to prayer.

I'm contemplating this one right now, which would seem to meet my needs. Orange 420D nylon, 4.5' tall
That one is actually 45 inches tall -- less than 4 ft.

I like this because it is very slow, calm, and controlled and gives you plenty of time to double check that your line is not tangled on you
That casual, unhurried deployment is also why I prefer oral inflation.

Confused by some of the comments. When people say "open bottom" and that being a bad thing, are they referring to literally an open bottom? Or are they also including the "semi closed" style that will allow exhaust from the regulator to inflate from below and it has a self sealing one way inlet that supposedly does not allow air out after inflated?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom