why more than 60-100' of line for a DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like everything else I blow mine up with my mouth

full

full

Look there it is

I use the 3' all black dsmb from Piranha. Recently diving in fairly calm water we quizzed the captain and he said the black stands out against the windex water of the caribbean as much as the orange does.

If you are running your primary donate on a long hose I would recommend the closed bottom. The open duck bill is better if you are inflating with your octo.

Duck bill bottom does not require full inflation at depth in my experience, however I have seen some water get on the inside, maybe 3 or 5 % of the volume- which I have always viewed as a minor annoyance.

Anyone else recommend a close bottom vs duck bill type device?
I do not agree at all with the general consensus that oral inflate is better. I’ve also had multiple tech diving instructors tell me they agree that an open bottom float is better. There are two primary reasons:

1) if possible, it is much better to not remove your regulator if you don’t have too.

2) open bottom SMBs are much larger, and thus much easier for a boat captain to find in case of bad weather or an emergency.

In my case, I didn’t like the closed SMB because i felt like it took a lot of force to inflate, and I felt that that level of exertion while holding a breath wasn’t a great idea. Furthermore it took my whole lung capacity to inflate just a small 3 foot tall four inch wide SMB. I now use a 6 foot tall 6 inch wide SMB that I can easily inflate using my regulator. Just switch to my necklace reg, un loop my long hose and up it goes.

Can’t recommend anything because I only have an old PADI SMB with no reel, BUT I almost purchased the following because of how convenient and “easy” it looked:

The link for Amazon shows them out of stock, but other places may have them - my LDS has about 10 of them - they are $80. My diving would rarely call for it, but I am in Coz right now - keeping within range of the guide!! Still thinking about getting it when I get back home.

From what I've seen, the length tops out about 4 ft in the closed bottom type. I like the simplicity of closed bottom with oral inflate, but some dive locations demand larger.

I use 100' Spool with an Orange 3.3', Closed Circuit DSMB. Fits in my pocket.

I put a half breath deeper then 30' and by the time it reaches the surface it standing proud.

"Super Big Closed Circuit, 6' in my kit if the boat ever required bigger"

an open bottom float is better
The duck-bill is actually a "semi-closed" type and probably what those instructors meant. A true "open bottom" is awful and will invariably spill air and flop.

Back
Top Bottom