Why Jet Fins???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point pug but don't forget 80 % of divers just go down paddle around in a circle, look at the pretty fish and come up, so a fin that is easy to kick is preferred ( paddle or split - it's up to them)

My thoughts on this topic aren't about control or which fins are better, but accurate testing that gives a person factual results over rampant opinion and the results could be for both control and efficiency.

All I know is my SAC rate on the same reasonably aerobic (IE: bit of a swim to get to the site) dive is quite a bit lower again while using turtles vs atomic splits.

It could be argued that I don't know how to properly use my splits sure.

Either way. No split/propeller fin can frog kick like a big rubber paddle can. Perhaps on a Carribean reef with a sandy bottom with a bunch of once a year divers lunar landing before they drag their 20 foot long atomics across another semi dead reef this isn't so important. Wreck diving in cold silty Canadian waters this is a MUST.

Could someone post a link to what
type of fins you are all talking about....
I found a split fin that is a jet fin
and a jet fin that is a blade fin both by SP.....
thanks

NaCL H2O Boy once bubbled...

I've tried my own informal tests with both my paddle fins and splits. I used a stopwatch as well as my Polar heartrate monitor. I timed laps in the pool at my fitness center, while also monitoring my heartrate to measure physical exertion. I made sure to give myself ample recovery time between using each set of fins, so as not to handicap the second pair being used. I found that on average, a 200meter flutter kick was around 5-7 seconds faster with the splits. I also found that with the paddle fins, my heartrate was 10-12 bpm higher at the end of the 200m. I tried this once using the splits first, then the paddles....and then used the paddles first followed by the splits. Now granted this may not be the most scientific test, but the Polar hrm is a pretty accurate monitor and it was showing a higher pulse rate using paddle fins. In addition, lactic acid production in my legs was noticeable much earlier with the paddle fins.

What brand of paddle fins did you do this with? Not all paddle fins are crated equal and the question was specific to jet fins.

Your test is far from conclusive if you only did it twice and in a pool but it still may be that the splits are better for you in a flutter kick. I personally can't remeber the last time I did a sustained flutter kick.
The problem is, as others have said, you can't do helicopter turns, back finning and frog kicks etc. with splits. You might believe you can but untill you actually try it yourself I don't think you should say you can do it. There are many who have tried these other kicks in splits and have not been able to do them adequately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom