DIR- GUE Why is wing dump valve on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The majority of GUE procedures are working backwards from their most extreme target, caves. In a cave silt, the right hand is for the cave line and it can literally be your life line. So GUE put many tasks in the left hand so you can do them without releasing the right hand from the line. Buoyancy control included. Similar model for DPV, but with less life/death issue.

I don't by the stuck inflator scenario. If my wing or dry suit inflator is stuck, yes, I'm going to tuck and try and swim down, but I'm going to disconnect the LP hose from that inflator before shutting off my tank. What if you are running singles? What if it's the dry suit inflator (which goes to the left tank). I think these cases would benefit from a right hand dump, but in GUE, usually muscle memory good for all environments (including caves) is prioritized.

Not sure I understood this, go deeper and shutdown your air tank valve? What do you breathe then?

You can switch to your second (backup) regulator (assuming you are using doubles of course).
However I think a better solution would be to disconnect the LP hose because otherwise you'll lose the ability to donate air.

You can switch to your second (backup) regulator (assuming you are using doubles of course).
However I think a better solution would be to disconnect the LP hose because otherwise you'll lose the ability to donate air.

Can the free flowing inflator hose be effectively stopped by simply disconnecting it? Or will it require a finger to stop it?

Edit: Thinking again - I guess not. The fault inducing the free flow would likely be in the inflator buttons and mechanism. Not the source into the LP hose…

Instead of using muscle memory how about using brain memory and operating valves
and those other things where your brain knows they are, not where you muscle thinks

The SPG is also on the LHS, along with stage(s).

RHS for donation of longhose.

Once the longhose is gone -- sidemount, rebreather -- the need for everything left reduces. Maybe that's why the GUE rebreather adds the longhose to force everything left again?

Not sure I understood this, go deeper and shutdown your air tank valve? What do you breathe then?
Your secondary, which is on the other tank.

I assume that would be the next thing to do after you get your buoyancy under control again.

The majority of GUE procedures are working backwards from their most extreme target, caves. In a cave silt, the right hand is for the cave line and it can literally be your life line. So GUE put many tasks in the left hand so you can do them without releasing the right hand from the line. Buoyancy control included. Similar model for DPV, but with less life/death issue.

I don't by the stuck inflator scenario. If my wing or dry suit inflator is stuck, yes, I'm going to tuck and try and swim down, but I'm going to disconnect the LP hose from that inflator before shutting off my tank. What if you are running singles? What if it's the dry suit inflator (which goes to the left tank). I think these cases would benefit from a right hand dump, but in GUE, usually muscle memory good for all environments (including caves) is prioritized.
Line needs to be in whatever hand makes sense based on line position and the cave.

The base decision for most of the DIR config boils down to the left post being the roll-off post. It determines where your long hose will be (on the right) and then everything else is built off that.

Your secondary, which is on the other tank.
Yeah ok. Not an option for a single tank rec diver... although an inflator is unlikely to freeze/jam in waters above 10C… so is it safe to assume that the typical scenario appears to be only with tech/ cold water divers?

Yeah ok. Not an option for a single tank rec diver... although an inflator is unlikely to freeze/jam in waters above 10C… so is it safe to assume that the typical scenario appears to be only with tech/ cold water divers?
I’d probably go head up and dump wing with my left hand and fiddle with the inflator QD with my right. At least then you’re going to be dumping the drysuit automatically by virtue of being vertical.

There’s something to be said for diving with redundant regs in cold water. H valve or doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom