DIR- GUE Why is wing dump valve on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could someone remind me why GUE recommends (requires?) the wing butt dump valve to be on the left?

I know having the valve on the left makes it easier to dump while on a scooter.

Having it on the left makes it easier to dump while viewing the depth gauge on your right wrist.

However, you have to switch your light from left to right hands in order to dump.

Overall it seems more convenient to have it on the right since I don't have a scooter.

And maybe also that the right hand is the safety hand that's supposed to be at the ready to assist a teammate? You don't want to give the right hand too many tasks, and dumping the wing is a frequent task. Maybe.

@PfcAJ ?

Overall it seems more convenient to have it on the right since I don't have a scooter.

"Begin with the end in mind."

With a runaway inflator you can dump gas with your left hand while you turn off the tank valve with your right hand (while also kicking down).

That matches the procedure in the SOPs for "Excessive buoyancy do to equipment failure." If you can't disconnect the LP hose, swim down, dump and shutdown valve.

Could someone remind me why GUE recommends (requires?) the wing butt dump valve to be on the left?

Having it on the left makes it easier to dump while viewing the depth gauge on your right wrist.

However, you have to switch your light from left to right hands in order to dump.

On right blinds your buddy if you have to donate.

On right means you can’t use your right hand to scooter.

Left let’s you illuminate your gauge if it’s not backlit.

Having it on the left makes it possible to dump while on the trigger, not easier. You can easily hit the dump without switching the light. Depends on the need. On the trigger needing to dump a small bit, I would normally not bother to move the light to the right hand. Setting up the gear in a way that does not work as you add tools is not how GUE works.

Having it on the left makes it possible to dump while on the trigger, not easier. You can easily hit the dump without switching the light. Depends on the need. On the trigger needing to dump a small bit, I would normally not bother to move the light to the right hand. Setting up the gear in a way that does not work as you add tools is not how GUE works.
If I’m going uphill I’ll dump via the inflator with my light on my right hand.

If I’m goin flat and need to dump I’ll switch hands. No way I can get to my rear dump with the light in my hand while wearing a stage. Plus I’d blind my buddy behind me and probably run in to somethin! Bonk.

"Begin with the end in mind."
That matches the procedure in the SOPs for "Excessive buoyancy do to equipment failure." If you can't disconnect the LP hose, swim down, dump and shutdown valve.

Not sure I understood this, go deeper and shutdown your air tank valve? What do you breathe then?

With a runaway inflator you can dump gas with your left hand while you turn off the tank valve with your right hand (while also kicking down).

This would be the main reason.

Secondly is muscle memory. Your left side is where your inflator/deflator is so naturally you want to use your left hand.

Additionally if you every change over to CC the counterlung dump on the JJ is on the right side so once again muscle memory will kick in and dump is left counterlung right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom