Why is there no alert system on the perdix ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Audible alarms are awful because it is difficult to discern the direction of sound underwater.

If an alarm sounds, every diver within a wide radius will--or should--look at their computer and will then waste some of their situational awareness bandwidth ascertaining whether it is their computer, and if not, wondering whether it might be their buddy's computer and the buddy might not be paying attention. Thick hoods could also impair hearing. When I'm wearing a hood in a quiet place (think cave), what I mainly hear is my own heartbeat. (If that stops, then I'll be alarmed.) The Perdix and its predecessors, the Petrel and Predator, were originally aimed at technical and cave divers.

Vibrational (haptic) alarms might be better, but can it be felt through a thick wetsuit or drysuit? Likely not. A vibrational alarm might be useful for some divers who wear thin suits, but that's about all.

I answered "visual only" in scubadada's poll thread.
Once they added AI to the perdix it became more than a “tech” computer, it opened to door to rec diving and the modern wants on a computer, the fact that a great company like SW opened up to those that wanted a little more in the option department helped the company grow.

Audible alarms are awful because it is difficult to discern the direction of sound underwater.

If an alarm sounds, every diver within a wide radius will--or should--look at their computer and will then waste some of their situational awareness bandwidth ascertaining whether it is their computer, and if not, wondering whether it might be their buddy's computer and the buddy might not be paying attention. Thick hoods could also impair hearing. When I'm wearing a hood in a quiet place (think cave), what I mainly hear is my own heartbeat. (If that stops, then I'll be alarmed.) The Perdix and its predecessors, the Petrel and Predator, were originally aimed at technical and cave divers.

Vibrational (haptic) alarms might be better, but can it be felt through a thick wetsuit or drysuit? Likely not. A vibrational alarm might be useful for some divers who wear thin suits, but that's about all.

I answered "visual only" in scubadada's poll thread.

My stance doesn't matter and I don't care I wouldn't use them, BUT, just so you know...

My Deep 6 Excursion has both (I didn't know when I 1st got it). I could feel the vibration through thick undergarments with dry gloves on... actually freaked me out a little at 1st, I thought something was crawling around in my suit for a split second!!:)

If your running a rebreather off any computer and you need an alert to tell you something is up...You might need to question some things.

I'm currently using a Perdix AI. My previous computer did have audible alarms. I really don't miss them, to be honest. In 6 or 7 years of diving with that computer, I had the alarm beep on one dive. Most of my previous dives were relatively shallow. The one dive I mentioned was for a Deep cert, and I believe the alarm I neglected to turn off was one when passing 100'. That alarm beeping led me to the conclusion that audible alarms underwater are useless. I couldn't tell where it was coming from at first, but did check and see that I also had a visible alert flashing.

I don't have a problem with the visible alarms on my Perdix. I've had a couple come up, but none had ever surprised me, as I do check my computer fairly regularly. I also wouldn't have a problem with haptic alarms for warning conditions. Audible alarms should be banned.

And to add, a diver that is relying on those alarms to alert them to issues probably shouldn't be diving. They should be well aware of where they are in regards to depth, gas supply, NDL, etc. without relying on an alert to let them know. Alarms won't make a diver safer.

Once they added AI to the perdix it became more than a “tech” computer, it opened to door to rec diving and the modern wants on a computer, the fact that a great company like SW opened up to those that wanted a little more in the option department helped the company grow.
Yes, but even with AI, the Perdix still carries the pedigree of the Petrel and Predator, which, as I said, "were originally aimed at technical and cave divers." My guess is that the average Perdix user skews toward more challenging types of diving. Shearwater now has the Peregrine, aimed squarely at rec-only divers, and the Teric. No need for further bells and whistles on the Perdix that might add to its appeal to rec-only divers.

Anyway, I think the argument that tech divers hate alarms, and alarms are for rec divers only is misplaced. Rec or tech, audible alarms underwater are problematic for the reasons I said.

Yes, but even with AI, the Perdix still carries the pedigree of the Petrel and Predator, which, as I said, "were originally aimed at technical and cave divers." My guess is that the average Perdix user skews toward more challenging types of diving. Shearwater now has the Peregrine, aimed squarely at rec-only divers, and the Teric. No need for further bells and whistles on the Perdix that might add to its appeal to rec-only divers.

Anyway, I think the argument that tech divers hate alarms, and alarms are for rec divers only is misplaced. Rec or tech, audible alarms underwater are problematic for the reasons I said.
Since the peregrine lacks AI I see it more as a tech back up, it offers little over many non AI computers that can easily be found for less than 1/2 the cost.

Since the peregrine lacks AI I see it more as a tech back up, it offers little over many non AI computers that can easily be found for less than 1/2 the cost.
I recall a whole thread pondering why the Peregrine lacks AI. I think the consensus was it was about cost or price point. Many people love AI, rec and tech.

I recall a whole thread pondering why the Peregrine lacks AI. I think the consensus was it was about cost or price point. Many people love AI, rec and tech.
Which is why I haven’t a computer without it.

Interesting reading people arguing in this thread. Actually the lack of vibration alert on the Perdix is what made me purchase the Teric (coming from a Peregrine).

For me the vibration alerts are a confirmation thing. I never rely on them per sae, for example if I'm at 40m rec watching Mola-mola and I know my NDL is getting low, means I don't have to glance at my wrist quite as often as I'm expecting the alert - if the alert doesn't come then I'm checking my computer soon anyway wondering why the alert hasn't arrived.

I think people are also confusing reliance with a belt & braces fail safe approach. In tec (or recreational for that matter) there's no way I'd rely on the vibration alerts instead of keeping an eye on things. However, it is nice to have alerts as a fail safe on the off chance you do something utterly stupid or were pre-occupied with a situation etc. - but the alerts are no excuse to be complacent.

Had the Perdix supported the vibrate function, I would have purchased it over the Teric (I prefer the bigger screen).

Back
Top Bottom