Why is the instructor to instructor section private?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ketchumid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why is the instructor to instructor section private? I’m a big fan of Scuba Board- just having questions on how this adds value to the community. Thoughts- or insight welcomed to help me understand this. Is there something going on privately that cannot be shared?

There's nothing there that is unmentionable. The discussions mainly revolve around instruction techniques.

When you become an Instructor you are sworn to an oath of secrecy. That's why everything uses acronyms and intitials. Just like CIA, FBI, MI6, KGB you have PADI, NAUI, YMCA and so on and of course the members are called DMs, AIs, OWSIs, MSDTs and so on. :crafty:

Really the section is what it says it is, Instructor to Instructor. There are certain angles of teaching or things that happen with students that one seeks the advice of other professionals rather than having some of the armchair gurus giving their invariable 2 cents worth. :angrymob::sos:

For me one of the most rewarding things about becoming an instructor is the mentoring and down to earth advice you get from other dive pros.:sos:

For an analogy, look at the skull and bones society at Yale University. There are deep, dark secrets tha only instructors who have passed the initiation rites and gone through the ordeal of terror may know. For example, we know the steps of the ceremony we are required to folllow on the anniversary of the death of Jacques Cousteau, and those secrets must never be revealed. We must have a forum where we can allude to these secrets without fear of that they will be revealed to the infidels.

But seriously folks, there is a theory behind it that does not actually play out all that much in actual practice, and much of what goes on in that forum can and does get discussed (to exhaustion) in other forums. Most of the I2I material could be in a public forum easily.

The best parts, and the parts that make such a forum a positive part of the overall scheme of things, are when instructors ask for advice on how to handle tricky instructional problems. If there were no Instructor to Instructor forum, an instructor might hesitate about asking a question like that, for fear that the general public might fear that he or she were an inferior instructor instead of being the high class person who wants to refine his or her technique in a community of colleagues.

They want to talk about how much they hate their stupid customers without driving away their stupid customers? Just a guess.:D

Good one leapfrom...:rofl3:

Well said boulder john. :biggrin3: I concur!!

Besides we paid dues for our "private" club :meeting::
a ton of :dollar:$$$ in courses, books, IDCs, Exam fees, annual certification renewal fees & insurance, etc. (& time). We teach not for money but because we love it cause we earn so little money that it barely (maybe) covers all of these expenses and others like our own gear, fuel, etc. Sometimes we are just cybercommiserating with each other. :cheers:

Why is the instructor to instructor section private?

so they can talk aboot us....

in the double secret probation aussie forum we have an aussie to aussie private section and we talk about you guys all the time, about how you talk funny and that slushy white stuff called snow we dont understand

:D

Elitism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom