Why is the H-plate unsuitable to twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004 The wing nut would not be in your spine. The little flat portion at the end of the bolt would be. You would put the wing nut on the outside/tank side of the plate..

PS. You gonna be at the cave conference?

backplate.jpg

@tbone1004 The wing nut would not be in your spine. The little flat portion at the end of the bolt would be. You would put the wing nut on the outside/tank side of the plate..

PS. You gonna be at the cave conference?

k, so if that was the case, how do you attach that to a set of doubles with the wing not on the tank side? Would you put 2 sets of bands on there? One for the tanks, then one for mounting to the plate?

sadly unavailable for the conference. I have to move while my wife is driving cross country with her sister. Will be down in cave country early July though

I added a (ugly) pic to explain. I will also be down early July 6-9th.. But over in High Springs area, I am sure you will be over near Mill Pond..

At the risk of again being falsely accused to trying to sell un needed gear I will point out that a back plate is a $100~200 item.

The jump from singles to doubles is not trivial. To dive doubles to their full advantage you need a couple sets of tanks at $500-1000 each. And a 1/2 dozen regs, and a drysuit with a couple sets of undies, and a $800~1500 trimix computer and a can light and a *few* deco and stage bottles, and maybe a scooter, etc.etc.etc.

I understand the desire to try and use as much gear of your single tank gear as possible, but it may not really be worth it. When it's time for doubles buy another plate.

Tobin

Seems we always set a set of doubles down and then build the rig from there. Tanks, then wing, then back plate and then screw on wing nuts. This would go the other way round. Back plate, then wing, then tanks and THEN screw on wing nuts..

I added a (ugly) pic to explain. I will also be down early July 6-9th.. But over in High Springs area, I am sure you will be over near Mill Pond..

I try to stay out of high springs in the summer due to the state birds and they're less offensive in Marianna. I actually prefer Peacock and surrounding area caves though.

The issue with your plan on the picture is how are the doubles stabilized when you have them off of the backplate? The bands are under a lot of tension to keep the manifold from bending and it would be fine while it was attached to the plate, but you couldn't easily remove the wing with that setup and I would be surprised if you were able to get enough torque on the bolts to keep everything stable with a wing nut.
Remember that the bolt operation on doubles is the end bolt, then a set of nuts to keep the bands tight, then the backplate goes in with not a lot of pressure. Just enough to keep it from rattling. With this you'd have to be very accurate with the nut to keep the tanks stabilized.

I try to stay out of high springs in the summer due to the state birds and they're less offensive in Marianna. I actually prefer Peacock and surrounding area caves though.

The issue with your plan on the picture is how are the doubles stabilized when you have them off of the backplate? The bands are under a lot of tension to keep the manifold from bending and it would be fine while it was attached to the plate, but you couldn't easily remove the wing with that setup and I would be surprised if you were able to get enough torque on the bolts to keep everything stable with a wing nut.
Remember that the bolt operation on doubles is the end bolt, then a set of nuts to keep the bands tight, then the backplate goes in with not a lot of pressure. Just enough to keep it from rattling. With this you'd have to be very accurate with the nut to keep the tanks stabilized.

I gotcha and I did not even think of that.. The forest for the trees kinda thing..

Back
Top Bottom