Why is SSI so unresponsive to diver wants?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCarr911

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It’s absolutely inconceivable to think SSI is so unresponsive to the wants of their divers.

I see question after question on different threads across the internet complaining that SSI only recognizes 2 dive computers and/or you can’t import dives into the log.

I’ve never seen SSI respond to any of these questions and obviously they haven’t added any support for other computers. An agency should strive to allow us to use whatever computer we want and/or other log software.

It would be very simple to add these other features. Feels like they have very little care about the diver experience and more interested in making sure you pay for that next course you don’t need.

I would love to hear from an SSI representative about these issues.

Why exactly do you need to use SSI's dive log? Am I missing something? Just use the dive log for your computer or one of the 3rd party dive logs that works with a wide variety of computers. Lots of options mentioned here on ScubaBoard all the time. I've never been an SSI customer, just not sure I understand why this is an issue? Do you need to use the SSI log for your dives to count towards advanced certification?

Supporting different dive computers is anything but simple.

Bec
Why exactly do you need to use SSI's dive log? Am I missing something? Just use the dive log for your computer or one of the 3rd party dive logs that works with a wide variety of computers. Lots of options mentioned here on ScubaBoard all the time. I've never been an SSI customer, just not sure I understand why this is an issue? Do you need to use the SSI log for your dives to count towards advanced certification?

The simple answer: Because I want too. It’s also fun to participate in their contests and giveaways which require logging in app.

Supporting different dive computers is anything but simple.
I am not experienced enough with the inner workings of dive computers to refute this but with other technology it’s rather simple to map out the connections and Bluetooth makes connecting super simple.

Also, doesn’t answer the other question of why not allow importing of a simple csv file that would allow the user to define the correct mapping. This is done everyday in millions of different apps.

Mares owns SSI and uses their association as a way to sell their products. That is why most photos in SSI materials look like the divers got raped by a Mares catalog.

Sucks
Mares owns SSI and uses their association as a way to sell their products. That is why most photos in SSI materials look like the divers got raped by a Mares catalog.
so the true answer comes to light. Guess I didn’t dive into the ownership deep enough. Sad a training, advocacy organization would be so narrow.

I see question after question on different threads across the internet complaining that SSI only recognizes 2 dive computers and/or you can’t import dives into the log.
I know the reason has been answered. Just wanted to add to this a bit.

For a while, SSI did support Garmin computers in a Beta program. If you go to the website, under Personal Data, you should see an Import Dives (Beta Access) option. It then states that the Connection to the Dive data has been switched off by Garmin. I'm not sure that's accurate, as I'm still able to add my Garmin Dives to Subsurface.

Anyway, as a curiosity, I did use this for a while just to see if there might be any use to the SSI log. There really wasn't. It was far more difficult to use than other logs, and was really basic in the information. Despite being imported from the computer, the log doesn't really display the profile. Just the max depth, temp (not sure if max or min), and I also had tons of errors if the dive site was not one that SSI had a name in their database.

It's really not required to use the log, and with better alternatives out there (take your pick, they are all pretty much better).

I am not experienced enough with the inner workings of dive computers to refute this but with other technology it’s rather simple to map out the connections and Bluetooth makes connecting super simple.

Also, doesn’t answer the other question of why not allow importing of a simple csv file that would allow the user to define the correct mapping. This is done everyday in millions of different apps.
Subsurface team might be interested in your skills. There are some pretty clever people behind the program but they do struggle with syncing different computers because it’s anything but easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom