Why is overweighting a bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think over weight is hazardous to your health in more ways than one:):)

Why is overweighting a bad thing?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
paulintexas once bubbled...
Why the search for the perfect weight?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let the fun begin.

I like 2-4 extra pounds to deal with students or current.

Because I am a rotund fellow, 4# isn't even noticable.

I'm sure I won't get them all, but here it goes...

* More weight, more work, more air consumption = less bottom time
* More weight, more air in the BCD, more resistance to the water = more work, more air consumption = less bottom time
* More weight, more air in BCD at depth = even more air in the BCD as you surface = more difficulty in maintaining buoyancy control in the most critical moment you need it.
* More weight = a lot less weight if you ditch it = a really fast trip to the surface (so maybe you don't die from OOA, but you loose to the effects of the gas laws)
* More weight, quicker decent, and even more quickly if you have an OOA due to equipment (like a BCD that fails to inflate), human error, etc. (oh yeah, just ditch the weight and shoot right back up!)
... these ought to be enough, but I'll get back to ya when I think of some more

...this was no troll. :D

Pauline has a legit question that was asked in another thread.
I felt that rather than have it get buried there I would move the question to its own thread.

It's not if you're taking cores on the bottom or assembling structures where you need "gravity", otherwise see the above

When you've got your weight perfected, you've got so much control. It's really an amazing feeling. For example, in a full bodied 3mm, my perfect weight is 2kg. Underwater, I barely need any air in my bc. I can control most of my movement with breathing. Only one more extra kg throws a wrench into this. Of course I still have control but not to the same degree. There's much more effort involved when you have extra weight.

I'll let someone else go into the safety reasons.

how do you know when u have the right weight configuration. Techinally I would need 23lbs in my belt if you follow the 10% +5 rule but when I did that I couldnt get to the bottom....so i added 2 more lbs. and i have problems staying off the bottom...(probably my bouancy control problem)

But still, how do you know when you have the right weight combo??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom