Why is learning to scuba so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross Be

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, just wanted to know how to get to divemaster level without taking out a personal loan or performing a hit on someone? Seems like you have to pay loads and there's no way round it?Does anyone know a place/way you can work for your training? If not whats the cheapest and best place to do it? when I ask for the cheapest i mean price of absolutely everything including all padi fees required dives, accom, flights?Some of you guys on here must have got to divemaster level or higher on the cheap?Just really want to learn how to dive but I'm not bill gates.:D

Everywhere is pretty relative with their costs.

The instructors need to get paid, as well as their employing LDS
Padi or other agency needs their share.
And the cost normally will keep away people who are not serious enough about it to be good DM or instructors.

I hear ya on the cost of everything, I am a newer diver, it is a bit overwhelming, but the good thing about it, is once you are certified, you do not have to pay anymore. But I do not see it much different than anything else. If I were to pick up a non diving course somewhere ( like work related) I am probably looking at dropping a grand or two on that course

I find this funny.

Expensive compared to what?

Compared to driving lessons, horse riding, evening classes at college etc etc... on a per hour basis.... it's as cheap as it gets!

Agreed -and on top of this, the OP isn't even talking about "learning to dive", but becoming a dive master, ie. taking responsibility of other people...

How much did it cost you guys then to get to divemaster level or better? if you calculate everything I mean absolutely everything? because you have to have a certain amount of dives as well don't you? as for getting my driving licence it cost me about £300, horse riding unknown. I've been quoted £4,000 to get to divemaster in egypt that incl everything. I would be happy to pay £1700 for everything up to divemaster is that possible?

No worries.....the training is cheap compared to the constant upgrade of equipment :D

I became a divemaster through my not for profit dive club. The cost was quite reasonable but there are ongoing costs that have to be considered such as insurance, keeping my DAN oxygen and first aid current. I had a few more dives under my belt when I decided to do it, about 500, and I did it to assist the club on dives and to help with the training classes. Why do you need to travel to Egypt, there is plenty of water not that far from you. Why are you in such a hurry, why not build up your experience locally and take your time, if you only have the number of dives shown on your profile how would you know if you are really into the sport.

Reactions: Jax
Agree . . . take your time. If you race to divemaster, you have liability without the experience to back it up.

Diving is a combination of knowledge and skill. You have to practice what you learn, to make it a skill.

How much did it cost you guys then to get to divemaster level or better? if you calculate everything I mean absolutely everything? because you have to have a certain amount of dives as well don't you? as for getting my driving licence it cost me about £300, horse riding unknown. I've been quoted £4,000 to get to divemaster in egypt that incl everything. I would be happy to pay £1700 for everything up to divemaster is that possible?

Hmm... let's see.. a rough approximation of the costs up to, and including, DM training (total diving spend) - over the space of (the first) 10 years:

Courses
Open Water - 450.00
Advanced Open Water - 300.00
Rescue Diver - 350.00
Deep Diver - 250.00
Drysuit Diver - 200.00
Nitrox Diver - 250.00
Wreck Diver - 300.00
EFR w/AED - 250.00
Divemaster - 750.00

Sub-Total -3100.00 GBP

Equipment
Apeks Regulators - 550.00
AP Valves BCD - 450.00
Mares Fins - 55.00
Cressi Mask x2 - 75.00
Suunto Vyper - 250.00
Bodyglove Drysuit -850.00
4th Element Undersuit - 85.00

Sub-Total -2315.00 GBP

Diving
240 Dives (@ 30) - 7200.00
Air Fills x 240 (@2) - 580.00

Sub-Total - 7780.00

Approx Total Spend (10 years from OW to Divemaster), mostly diving in the UK -13,195 GBP

*Not including air-fare, car petrol, dive insurance, small items and maintenance/service of kit.

Really.... that was cheap. It didn't start getting expensive until I started on the technical diving route. Post-Instructor/DM qualification (the last 10 years), I spent a lot more on kit, but most of my (4500+) subsequent dives were free/paid for.

If asked how much of my money I've spent on scuba diving in the last 20 years, my honest answer would have to be "most of it".

Seriously....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom