Why is it so hard to find someone to dive with.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that 4 days out forecasts aren't worth much, but right now they're calling for partly sunny with a high of 69 in beautiful downtown Gilboa. 11:00 sound OK? That way I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get there.

elsrdiven, you in??

Sounds great! 11 or even noon is fine. Should do church with the family this Sunday anyhow. Been otherwise occupied recently. LOL :diver:

I've had problems in the past finding dive buddies. I belonged to a club for several years and was the President of it for a year. The club, even when I was it's president just wasn't right for me and I discovered there wasn't a thing I could do about it. So I took a year off from the club scene. I kept diving of course. I decided to start my own dive group with the core of people who were actually diving. With them I formed the Deep Six dive group( Deep Six Scuba Dive Group Website ) We've bloomed to about 35 strong since then. Never a problem finding a dive buddy now. The problem is which dive to go on. We dive local 12 months a year one way or another. Living in Wisconsin, that's saying something. Our members organize their own trips to the Carraibian and beyond. We speak diving whether it's a local quarry, a shore dive in Lake Michigan or a wreck dive in Truk Lagoon.
So, you might try some home brew. With the right people it may well go places.

Hey elsrdiven, Weather permitting Let's dive Gilboa Sunday. :idk:
There's an offer and all you have to do is respond, PM him if your shy. :wink:

You're kidding, right? Scubaboard claims over 150,000 members and doing some quick Facebookery I could feasibly connect with up to 6,000 people in Michigan and Ohio alone who are scuba divers! You're on the Internet. On a social networking site. For scuba divers!

Drive your ass out to some of the events, trips, charters, evening dives, club meets and say; "hello". Or walk into your local dive shop and explicitly ask them to hook you up with some people. That's what they do.

Seriously.
I know what you mean. I couldn't afford to dive with everyone I could hook up with on a moments notice. Heck, I've dove with plenty of folks from local to Florida to Estonia from connections on SB. If I was traveling anywhere in the world and wanted to dive, SB would be my first shot at a dive buddy. I've had offers to meet and try gear out by members here. Elsrdiven, if you're ever gonna be in this area give me a holler, or if I'm near your neck of the woods, expect one from me.:)

You just gotta put yourself out there and follow everyones advice. We're not all the same, but we all love to dive. It only takes a time or two of diving with someone before they will bring another diver with them. Then you will have two, three, four, five, six buddies etc...

Are you sure it's not the fear of the unknown that is holding you back? The fear of diving with someone who you have never met before, you have absolutely no idea who this person is or what they are all about? If so, that's easy to overcome by simply communicating with the person before you commit to diving with them. Keep it simple, man. We're just diving and having fun doing it safely.

BLU

PvtStash and myself will be at Whitestar @8:00am. We plan on doing 2 dives. I need to get home by noon to watch my Wolverines (GO BLUE!). If you are looking, feel free to join us. PM me if interested.

Ok, I will put myself out there... Who is going to GLWC meet in Oct?

Yay!!!! You won't regret it, SB members are a great bunch.

Good luck and safe dives!

Quite a few. I believe around 15 folks or so at the last count. There's an entirely separate thread on it here. Chime in, let folks know you're coming and what food you're bringing to share. Everyone brings something to share on Saturday. I hope you meet you there!

I'm 67 years old and am going through my second generation of divers. <snip> You come to the GLWC fall Meet & Greet on Oct. 15-17 and you WILL get connected. If you don't make an attempt, then your cry will always be "I can't find anybody to dive with".

Congratulations to you, you have given me inspiration, hope I am still going strong at 67.

I attended a GLWC meet and greet several years ago at Gilboa and had a great time. I am somewhat far away but still made good contacts. I was in the keys a few years ago and met by chance one of the GLWC members that had moved to Florida, we hooked up and had some nice dives together.

This spring I hooked up with some of the DNY group at Dutch Springs. They are a lively bunch (Hi Sam), and fun to hook up with.

As others are telling you, the buddies are out there, you need to do some networking. Once the ice is broken the cliquish atmosphere goes away.

Back
Top Bottom