Why I love my DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I suppose I could submit this for DOG of the week, but I dunno.

Here's a little back story, but as a diving professional ill omit the names of people and shops.

When it was time to buy my drysuit I had decided that if I was going to be spend the money for a suit I was going to be as warm as possible. I went to the 'dive shop' and decided I wanted to go with a Signature Series CLX450 as I was a big fan of the tri-lam and its drying time. Plus I just didnt like the CF-200's call me crazy I guess. Anyway I got all my measurements done and when it came time for customizations I said I wanted the warmest undergarments for Monterey etc. My 'instructor' at the time came into the 'dive shop' at this time and suggested I get the CF-200 pads instead of kevlar. He also convinced me to get dry gloves.

Fast forwarding a few dollars and month and a half or so, the suit arrives and its time for me to go to the 'dive shop' and pick it up. Well the shop's 'employee' tells me he has no idea how to install my dry gloves. He said I would need to contact my 'instructor' to have him install them. The were the PSI-Tek (sp?) glove system. I said this was no acceptable and said if they could not install what I paid for I was not taking the suit and would demand a refund. In the end the 'shop's' owner came down and tried to install them himself. While he tried, it did not work as the glove rings kept coming off. I was lucky enough that the 'instructor' was kind enough to allow me to drop off the suit with him and allow him to try to install the gloves as he was kind enough to do so.

In the end, the suit went back to DUI and IIRC I paid around another $600 to get it fixed up to what I had anticipated what I ordered. I wasn't happy about this. Even now DUI did work well with me, as far as discounting the work some and allowing me to returned a used glove system.

Moving ahead a hear and a half, due to some "screw ups" on the shops part, especially as far as not including all things I didn't at the time know existed the suit broke itself. Basically I asked for all the warm options and didn't get the DUI 400 gram booties. However, the shop had DUI size the rock boot socks for this garment. However without it there was a lot of extra room in the socks and when in the boots they folded under themselves. After time they actually work a hole in the tips of the boots. Obviously this leaked.

I sent my suit into DUI and called them the other day to find out what was happening with my repairs. I also was having my neck seal replaced since it was going in. DUI totally went above and beyond at this point. I called in to see what was going on, and was shocked. Apparently a zip seal on the suit was "cracked" and was replaced under warranty at no charge. Also the $60? pressure testing fee was waived. When the bootie question was asked they said they were going to patch them. After I questioned them about the "patch" we got into a little of my back story. The Jennifer (IIRC) put me on hold and when she came back she reminded me why I bought a DUI. Basically since im wearing much thinner socks the booties have way too much fabric. Initially for $220 I could get one size smaller socks to make up for this difference, however after checking with whomever she did she informed me DUI would replace the XXL booties with XL booties at no charge. AWESOME! This is a what real companies do for customers that aren't totally satisfied and are frustrated. They took the initiative to fix my suit, so this wouldn't be a problem in another year.

In the end, once my suit ships on the 4th, ill have what I wanted a year and a half ago. Im totally happy now, nothing to be concerned about, and proactive fixes to prevent more failures in the future. Go, DUI and your epic customer service.

I cant say what any other manufacturer would have done, but this is clearly unexpected and has probably made me a loyal customer for the rest of my diving life.

Hopefully others out there find this helpful when considering what to buy as there are many options.

I will second the kudos on DUI's service. A couple of months ago one of the DUI reps contacted me on FaceBook & asked how I liked my suit ( a Signature series TLS350), as I also use it on my profile there. I wrote back saying I was mostly satisfied with it, except for a couple things. 1. the left suspender had come unsewn & 2. the insoles on the rock boots came unglued. Not things that should happen to a 5 mo. old suit. This is not the first time I've had trouble with the insoles of the rock boots. On my first suit (which I still have & is a back- up) the insoles wore down to literally nothing in less than a year. This caused wearing in the drysuit socks & a leak. I sent that suit back in & had the socks replaced. I put some generic insoles in the rock boots & they have done fine since. Anyway, I mentioned these problems & was then put into contact with the head DUI's QC dept. They had me send in the newer drysuit & the newer rockboots, so that they could see what was causing the insole issues. Last week ( less than 3 weeks since I sent it in) my suit came back with the suspender sewn down tightly & a new pair of rock boots:blinking:. The cost? $0 even the shipping back to me was paid by DUI. That is certainly customer service! :yelclap:

You guys don't want me to comment about DUI....

Nuff said... :)

Hmmm...I had a CF200 that was really old, 1995 but bought as NOS by me years later, and lasted a couple hundred plus dives. I straight up wore the thing out. I performed a bunch of repairs over the years to the suit including multiple neck and wrist seal changes, along with pee-valve replacement ($25 for a non balanced), and numerous leaks (Aquaseal is your friend). Added two pockets for $20 each, plus glue. For the $400 I paid for it, including DUI 400gm undies, I got my moneys worth out of it :)

Would I buy another DUI? Nope! I went with a Fusion since the technology has surpassed DUI. No fitment issues and no alterations needed. I still use my second set of DUI 400gm undies and booties, but when they are worn out I will upgrade to something more flexible, as I struggle with valve drills.

DUI is known for taking care of their customers, and I would expect as much from their pricing.

Hmmm...I had a CF200 that was really old, 1995 but bought as NOS by me years later, and lasted a couple hundred plus dives. I straight up wore the thing out. I performed a bunch of repairs over the years to the suit including multiple neck and wrist seal changes, along with pee-valve replacement ($25 for a non balanced), and numerous leaks (Aquaseal is your friend). Added two pockets for $20 each, plus glue. For the $400 I paid for it, including DUI 400gm undies, I got my moneys worth out of it :)

Would I buy another DUI? Nope! I went with a Fusion since the technology has surpassed DUI. No fitment issues and no alterations needed. I still use my second set of DUI 400gm undies and booties, but when they are worn out I will upgrade to something more flexible, as I struggle with valve drills.

DUI is known for taking care of their customers, and I would expect as much from their pricing.

Peter,

I'm not only sold on the customer service of DUI but also the workmanship of the suit: stitches, seams, fabric, seals.

But that wasn't anything to talk about until my collusion with a huge rock exiting BW. I should've come out shreaded and I didn't, the CLX 450 did an incredible job of sustaining all the abrasions.

I walked or should I say crawled out without a scratch. :D

I will also have to say the Fusion also rocks because my buddy also had to traverse the tracherous exit and was literally on top of one of those huge rocks, as I was washed up shore. He wears a Fusion Tech skin, and he came out without incident.

So the verdict, both Fusion and CLX 450 rock, they can take damage and they did that day, brutal damage and both held up. :wink:

Mike, try some of our North Coast entries and exits for shredding a drysuit. Ever crawled out onto the rocks? We have lots of DUI suits in our group and they do hold up very well. Heck mine served me great for many years. The only reason I retired it was because it started leaking on the seams and it had holes through the tough CF200 material. So far I am fairly happy with my Fusion Tech Skin (Stupid saggy pockets). I paid about 1/3 what a DUI custom suit would have cost me, and got the same fit if not better.

I was not bashing DUI at all. They have just priced themselves out of the market. Their ZIP seals are awesome and their suits hold up great.

Mike, try some of our North Coast entries and exits for shredding a drysuit. Ever crawled out onto the rocks? We have lots of DUI suits in our group and they do hold up very well. Heck mine served me great for many years. The only reason I retired it was because it started leaking on the seams and it had holes through the tough CF200 material. So far I am fairly happy with my Fusion Tech Skin (Stupid saggy pockets). I paid about 1/3 what a DUI custom suit would have cost me, and got the same fit if not better.

I was not bashing DUI at all. They have just priced themselves out of the market. Their ZIP seals are awesome and their suits hold up great.

Peter,

I never took your post as an attack on DUI. I'm impressed on how long it lasted you and your choice to go with the Fusion. I sell/rent Fusions where I work at, so I'm no stranger to how durable those suits are.

Regarding climbing and exiting onto rocks, nope, can't say I have. But I will tell you this when I rammed into the rock, wait a minute it was no rock, it was a flippin huge boulder full of jagged edges.

I didn't get to step on it or crawl on it. I was slammed up against it, covered in white wash and feeling the immense impact all over my body. (Cordura is excellent in strength and durability).

Like I mentioned, the Fusion did the same thing and both suits came out winners. I don't want to dive a Fusion because I know I will want one. :D

Personally im not sold on the fusions... or at least the models I have seen. Perhaps there are others but I haven't done any research.

So Mike, are you done with teaching or...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom