Why I like my LDS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds like Noel's place, he has been there a long time.. The other place that would not service your gear sounds like Capt Samms..
Yes on Noel no on capt Samms. Don't want to mention a name at this time.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

I still like my old setup and I am very glad he has it tip top again.....

My local LDS probably would've offered to buy your old setup ... they've got a scuba museum upstairs ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

How about that......I work in Fairfield so I'll have to run over there.... Thanks.

Like I said, check the schedule. He is in roatan this week but doesn't have another trip scheduled till June 21 (Turks)

My local LDS probably would've offered to buy your old setup ... they've got a scuba museum upstairs ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Mine wouldn't have offered to buy it, but they do have both sets of regs I bought last year (and started using yesterday) in their "museum". When I noticed them a few weeks ago I mentioned it and the guy said "people still use them, but not me". They also won't service them because "the parts are too hard to get" though they let me purchase all the parts from Trident not two weeks ago.

To the OP, good on you for finding a good shop. Make sure they know why you stayed with them (and tell the other shop why you didn't) and help keep them around for a few more years.

Sounds like a great LDS, although if I may play Devil's Advocate for a bit:

He is probably not doing himself any favors by not allowing employees to make deals.

First off, if the employee could have offered you a deal, you wouldn't have been shopping on leisure pro shortly after.

Secondly, why bother having employees? Customers quickly figure out that you should never buy anything unless you are talking to the owner.

Without knowing anything about his set up, I am guessing he would probably be better served by creating some guidelines within which the employees could offer deals.

i usually run from places that tell me my stuff is junk also!!!!!
i still dive"museum pieces" and like myself,still hold up great
glad to hear that there are still"diveshops" left!
being around other divers and talking diving is sometimes better than the days' diving!!!
have fun
yaeg

Sounds like a great LDS, although if I may play Devil's Advocate for a bit:

He is probably not doing himself any favors by not allowing employees to make deals.

First off, if the employee could have offered you a deal, you wouldn't have been shopping on leisure pro shortly after.

Secondly, why bother having employees? Customers quickly figure out that you should never buy anything unless you are talking to the owner.

Without knowing anything about his set up, I am guessing he would probably be better served by creating some guidelines within which the employees could offer deals.
True dat.
He does have specials and good pricing all around, so I shouldn't have said the employees don't make deals. His overall pricing is very fair. If you want to get a final price on a complete package that you put together he would do the final pricing and make sure you do get what you need. As it's a small shop the employees are more or less there to have the shop open when he's away. Get your air fills, get necessities etc. Noel takes pride in taking care of the individual and their needs. If I would've known better at the time I certainly wouldn't have done the leisure pro thing, I was antsy and LP gave me a hard sell.
At the time Orbit was not my preferred LDS. Now it is and I want every one to know.

True dat.
He does have specials and good pricing all around, so I shouldn't have said the employees don't make deals. His overall pricing is very fair. If you want to get a final price on a complete package that you put together he would do the final pricing and make sure you do get what you need. As it's a small shop the employees are more or less there to have the shop open when he's away. Get your air fills, get necessities etc. Noel takes pride in taking care of the individual and their needs. If I would've known better at the time I certainly wouldn't have done the leisure pro thing, I was antsy and LP gave me a hard sell.
At the time Orbit was not my preferred LDS. Now it is and I want every one to know.

That sounds reasonable

It's a year old thread but..... a few weeks ago I went in to Orbit Marine to buy 2 computers for my 2 boys who were certified last summer. We are slowly addiing to their gear setup. Told Noel what computer we wanted and I was going to buy 2. Noel beat everyone online including Leisure Pro even after sales tax was applied.

It's not the prettiest shop but does and has everything you need. Nice to hang out and talk to Noel. He is a talker. Loves to talk about the local LI Sound diving. Good guy.

By the way Wolfie, you probably know Orbit is a SP dealer now which is great for me because between myself, my wife and 2 boys, 3 of our 4 reg sets are SP.

Sea Sports Scuba LDS here gives free air all year round if you do a visual inspection through them. Since I dive almost every weekend for 6 months in a year, I save $8+tax a fill. Especially helps to save money if you do 2 tanks.

My only gripe with that store was when they had an employee who looked at me and talked to me in a very demeaning manner. Maybe it was just his style with everybody. I did not take it personally but it was utterly unpleasant. It felt like he has a whole world to run and here I bother him about buying a wetsuit. I don't see him anymore nowadays, though. Makes my each trip to that LDS more enjoyable.

I've known Noel since 1980, when I am in that part of the state, I stop by and chat. He has been running that shop since the 1960s lots of museum pieces, both artifacts and dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom