Why I hate heavy Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditching the weights certainly didn't hurt, but it didn't help either. OTOH, using all your air when you didn't need it could have caused a problem.

Two thing not similar in my experience, I didn't drop my integrated weights, nor did I breath off my reg. I used my snorkel to keep the water out of my mouth.

what type of BC,,, was it a jacket that floated you like apinata doll, or a back inflate that makes you ten to go face first if over inflated,,....,,how you float on the service if over infalted or too much weight depends on the type of the BC.....

paulwall:
Up until a couple of years ago, I was an infrequent diver. 2 trips a year was about all I was averaging, so I jumped on the opportunity to meet my wife in Orlando in order to make a dive trip in Daytona.

First dive was without incident, 3 divers (including me), the other two were buddies, and I was "the other guy". There were 4 other people on the boat, all buddied up. This is fine and dandy with me, I'm a terrible buddy, too self-involved and all the other good characteristics of a solo diver. I am also very aware of my limitations, and don't dive beyond my comfort.

So, as I was saying, the first dive was on a wreck. Max depth 90 FSW, great vis, big wreck. My 2 buddies (Remember, I was "the other guy" wanted to penetrate, but I stayed outside and played with the fish. Ascended up the anchor line, and did a proper SI.

Second dive, different wreck.

Going down the anchor line, I was pulled horizontal by the current. To me it was ripping, but the other 2 guys found it manageable, I guess. I went hand-over-hand to the bottom and found no relief from the current. I considered hanging onto the line for the duration of the dive (75fsw), but wanted to explore. I let go of the rope, which was about 3/4 of the way back on the wreck, and was pushed nearly to the stern before I could duck behind some structure to escape the current.

Upon ascent time (1500psi), I could see the line, and tried to make an angle approach to the rope about 15 ft above and to my right. As soon as I got into the current, I began drifting North, and lost sight of the line, although I still was angling in the direction It was last seen. Because I was trying to keep a slow ascent, by the time I hit the surface, I was more than 40yds (N) to the stern of the dive boat, about even with another boat anchored out there (20 yds E of me). Seas were mostly flat, I had 1000p.s.i, but I couldn't make it back to my dive boat against the current. I couldn't make it to the other boat, as I kept slipping N, toward Georgia.

I gave the OK signal to my dive boat (Big O over my head) and inflated my BC to where I was out of the water, and made up my mind that they would come to get me after retrieving the other divers (I was the first one up, of course). I had no Surface Marking buoy, and no snorkel. Occasionally I would raise my arms over my head in a Big O and the Dive boat would respond.

After about 30mins, I was down to 300psi, the boat was a distant speck in the distance (300+yards), and I decided to drop my weights. I know, you are all thinking "Why didn't you drop them earlier?" Well, I wasn't really in a crisis mode, seas were calm, and I was comfortable, if alone. The other boat was closer and I could still see those people and they could see me. I watched some amazing underwater life while I was waiting, and was just chilling, really. At 300lbs, I decided I would be ok paying for the weights. They weren't doing me any good, and I didn't need to keep thinking "should I drop the weights, or not?"

About 15mins later, I see the dive boat heading my way. I am OOA at the surface, I kept the reg in front of my mouth to keep the random wave from splashing into my open mouth, mask still in place, sans weights, and a little tired. I give the "Big O" the whole time the boat approached, even using my Fins as extra height could help the pilot approach. I figured they would get close enough for me to reach the ladder (which they did). If not, I could put them back on.

So, after this long story here is what I took away:

1) If you are part of a 3-man team, make sure that all 3 people are diving the same way (penetrate/not penetrate, nitrox/non-nitrox).
2) If the seas had been rougher, I would have ditched the weights right away.
3) Make sure you understand what the captian will do if you surface away from the dive boat. We had a good briefing where the DM explained that if the boat is tied into the wreck, and the surfacing floater is OK, then the divers on the anchor line come first, then the floating diver. If the floater is in trouble, the captain will dispatch the DM and then untie from the wreck to retrieve the troubled diver. Then, pick up the other divers from the surface buoy still moored in the wreck.
4) Snorkels can be useful. I have purchased a folding snorkel for my BC. I hate it, but I practice with it because it can come in handy.
5) An SMB in open water is not a luxury. Had the seas been rougher, I might not have been seen by the dive boat at my furthest distance. I have used my SMB in rough waters on drift dives on at least 3 occasions, and have never been chastised for it. I also have used my "Dive Alert" on the surface once, when I went the wrong way on a drift dive.

I don't know exactly how I missed the anchor line on the way up, either the boat swung away at the same time, or the current was pushing stronger than I thought, but.

I'm not going to mention the dive shop, because they did nothing wrong IMO. I'm don't believe I did anything wrong either (except maybe the weight drop issue). I guess I could have pulled myself along the wreck to the anchor to ascend, but I felt in control until I lost sight of the anchor line. By that time, it was too late. The dive shop kind of beat me up about losing the weights, but I paid for them, and that was that. I kept thinking about all the lost divers who were found dead with their weight belts still on. Cheap at twice the price. I still think about that situation, and it usually comforts me.

This wasn't really a near-miss, more of a "Don't panic, review your options" post. Maybe it doesn't belong here.

yipiekaya:
what type of BC,,, was it a jacket that floated you like apinata doll, or a back inflate that makes you ten to go face first if over inflated,,....,,how you float on the service if over infalted or too much weight depends on the type of the BC.....

Lord, not that it matters but it was a jacket-style BC. I said I was comfortable on the surface, just didn't see much downside to dropping the weight when ELOA.

I consider it my contribution to the artificial reef area.

paulwall:
Lord, not that it matters but it was a jacket-style BC. I said I was comfortable on the surface, just didn't see much downside to dropping the weight when ELOA.

Go for it.

It's your money. If ditching the weights made you feel better, nobody has any right to second guess you, any more than they do for calling a dive.

Your money, your weights, your life. If they were rented, all it means is the shop gets an extra sale they weren't planning on.

Terry

I think you handled yourself well and am glad you came out of the experience with no scars.

I want to really hit what I see as the major lesson… Walter briefly touched on this. The truth is that you were not part of a team and did not have any body to rely on when things went south. A team maintains awareness of the other members during the dive, agrees on a dive plan before the dive, sticks with the plan, does not plan a dive or execute a dive beyond the capabilities of the weakest diver. None of these conditions were met during your dive. One of the most perilous portions of any dive is the ascent… and you were on your own for this portion of the dive. All that would have been required to turn your tale into tragedy would have been one more problem. Perhaps a slow leak in the bc… perhaps a slight miscalculation in air consumption… perhaps the weather on the surface might have been rougher… any of these things could easily have imperiled you.

Had you actually completed this dive with a team… you could have (should have) thumbed the dive when it was apparent that the current at the bottom was ripping. Your team would have ascended with you and you would not likely have missed the up line. Once on the surface with your team the shared resources of the team likely (possibly) would have included a surface marker or some other surface-signaling device. This would have given you and the other team members some insulation for other possible problems.

Finally… you mentioned up front that you were a poor buddy… perhaps a bit too self-centered. I hope you revisit this position in light of your experience. Solo diving or diving with a “same ocean, same day” type buddy is foolish IMO.

paulwall:
It was a belt, and it was uncomfortable pulling me against the BC's buoyancy.

It sounds like the BC may have been too big for you or you need to put some of the weight in the BC. If you have some weight in your BC, you'll require a little less on your belt, and you won't be pulled down while your BC stays up. :wink:

when u dont think it matters is when you make fatal mistakes,,.. a jacket style BC shoud have klept you floating like a pinata doll,.. with absolutly no need to dump, unless its over inflated and sqeezing the crapola out of you,,. when people stress, things happen,,, in a back inflated BC no jacket sqeeze,,, just first positoning, so it does matter, you mentioned youwere only diving 2 trips a year , how many dives have you done in the past 24 months,,,,,,

and i dont think you need to bring the lord into this, he didnt save you the boat capt did.

paulwall:

evry one is a bad buddy,,,god forbid he only dice twice a year past few years,,.. and theother guyd dive 50 dives a year,..sounds like a up date class is needed,,,,

typical of pilots who crash single engine planes fly a hand full times a year and wonder why,,,lol,,

Tollie:
I think you handled yourself well and am glad you came out of the experience with no scars.

I want to really hit what I see as the major lesson… Walter briefly touched on this. The truth is that you were not part of a team and did not have any body to rely on when things went south. A team maintains awareness of the other members during the dive, agrees on a dive plan before the dive, sticks with the plan, does not plan a dive or execute a dive beyond the capabilities of the weakest diver. None of these conditions were met during your dive. One of the most perilous portions of any dive is the ascent… and you were on your own for this portion of the dive. All that would have been required to turn your tale into tragedy would have been one more problem. Perhaps a slow leak in the bc… perhaps a slight miscalculation in air consumption… perhaps the weather on the surface might have been rougher… any of these things could easily have imperiled you.

Had you actually completed this dive with a team… you could have (should have) thumbed the dive when it was apparent that the current at the bottom was ripping. Your team would have ascended with you and you would not likely have missed the up line. Once on the surface with your team the shared resources of the team likely (possibly) would have included a surface marker or some other surface-signaling device. This would have given you and the other team members some insulation for other possible problems.

Finally… you mentioned up front that you were a poor buddy… perhaps a bit too self-centered. I hope you revisit this position in light of your experience. Solo diving or diving with a “same ocean, same day” type buddy is foolish IMO.
no one looks in the mirror, every one is at fault but the one talking,,,

yipiekaya:
god forbid

I thought we were going to leave Lord God out of this. :wink:

yipiekaya:
no one looks in the mirror, every one is at fault but the one talking,,,

Now then, is this a yipiekaya original old wise saying you just made up?

IMOHO, I don't think you are adding any pearls of wisdom here. Can you provide a little background about yourself and why you think you are so qualified to comment on these events like you are?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom