Why hang stuff up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok silly question now that I have my own equipment.

Why hang the BCD up? For drying sure, but Im pretty sure it would be dry after a week. Im not saying fold it up in a tight little ball (not that you could) but is there any difference in laying it out in a closet full of shelves vs hanging it up?

Is there any other regular maintenance that should be done?

We have already found by trial and error that things like wet suits dry out better when we turn them inside out.

But do I need to "change the oil" on anything?

I have

Delta 4.1 Regs with the DVT
Neo Octopus
Excursion and Hera BC for my daughter
6 or 7 wetsuits (mostly from wakeboarding but I see no reason they wont work for scuba)
Mask, snorkle, fins
Atom 2 computer (still havent got that all figgured out yet, way lots of stuff to read through) - Im sure it says so, but should I take the batteries out? Or risk the grain of sand in the seal?
And a big Rambo knife that the dive shop threw in. (Gonna audition for Rambo 16, Rambo, Walkers Unleashed)

You can put a BCD on a shelf after it is dry, but I suggest you store it inflated. It should be serviced periodically (it doesn't have to be annually) because it is possible the inflator mechanism can be fouled. If it is stuck on while diving, that is not good.

Make sure you hang a wet suit with a hanger with wide shoulders. Don't leave it folded--it will crease permanently in time. I heard somewhere once that the wet suits made for above water sports (like wake boarding) are not as well made or warm as scuba wet suits, even from the same manufacturer. I cannot confirm that, and it could be an urban myth.

Don't take the batteries out of your computer.

I am sure you have been told to get your regulators serviced. How often depends upon how often you use them and whether or not you have a free parts for regular service.

Most things dry out better when you hang them up.
No oil needs to be changed.
It is best not to store things near a furnace or any other ozone producer. The ozone produced will eat rubber parts. Cool dry areas work best.
Wetsuits fair better when hung on wide hangers. This crates fewer crush points where the cell structure is totally collapsed.

I keep things hung or stored in bags to keep the area neat and less cluttery. I don't need to trip over my reg hosees or puncture the corrugated hose on my BC because I dropped or set something off it. If you do not want to hang things up you can also store the great flat on a shelf after it has dried.

Dries better. Especially if you store your stuff somewhere with no access to sunlight.

And once it's hanging, why move it (other than to get it wet again) :p

It is best not to store things near a furnace or any other ozone producer.

I store a number of items (especially my dry suit) in bins with lids to keep them out of the ozone, etc.

Also if you take out the battery you may not get it sealed back. Salt water and electronics do not mix.

I keep my masks in the origional boxes so the skirts do not get deformed.

If things are not hanging I put my BC in a mesh bag first, with the fins on either side, my mask, boots and gloves at one end, and my reg and snorkel on top of the BC flat. I only put my wetsuit in and on top when I am ready to leave with it. Other than that my wetsuits stay hanging in wetsuit hangers. Incidentals go in the side or end pockets.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. There seems to be lots of information about how to dive. The maintenance part appears quite thin.

I just looked in my closets and I don't think I have a shelf large enough to place a BC on without having to worry about it falling down all the time... If space is an issue (you don't have room in a closet to keep gear hanging because unnecessary things like clothing are taking up the space) sell some clothes! You may want to consider buying a Warddrobe cabinet. Those can be kind of bulky, so if you don't have space for one of those, if you have a laundry room you can buy a wall cabinet with a clothing bar underneath it and hang the gear from there. I bought one from Lowe's awhile back for like $50 (not sure if you have Lowe's in Canada, it's a Home Improvement store). If you put enough thought into it, I think you will be able to find somewhere to keep your gear hanging up, yet out of the way.

Do what my girlfriend suggested we do, "acquire" a mannequin and set him/her up between dives and display it with the proper lighting, ambiance and some fishy mobiles...

Honestly, i'd say that once dry, slightly inflated it will be fine if you keep other things off the top of your bc. Maybe one of those under-bed sweater plastic bins they sell would work nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom