why go below 30'???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you'll have to go deeper than 30' to get a good look at the magnificent drop offs of the Cayman Wall on the East End of Grand Cayman.

you'll have to go deeper than 30' to get the amazing photos of light streaming through the reef at Snapper Hole like sunbeams through clouds.

you'll have to go deeper than 30' to see the signature mermaid statute Amphitrite at Sunset House.

lots of good diving below 30' if/when you want to do it.

Well, I like these last two responses.

Diving is hard work, overcoming the fears and all.
I'll just have to go slow...I'm committed...just slow.

bmuise once bubbled...
I am a 37 year old certified OW diver - a novice to be exact. I've been on 12 dives in two years all above 35.' I obsess about equipment and love to see fish. After reviewing all the DCS stories on this forum for several weeks now, I know one thing is certain: I will not be going below 32' for a LONG time. I mean why should I? The risks are too great. These accidents happen ALL the time. All I can say is thank god for this forum and thanks to all of you for sharing.

I have to agree about one thing: this forum rocks.

I'll say this (despite better wisdom, perhaps) about going deeper.

Eventually, you'll want it but you will have a reason.

In my case I wanted to see the anemone beds at Whytecliff. 60-75ft.

The Chaudiere at 60-160ft.

The Wolfe eels at 80ft in Schelt inlet.

The wreck of the Elbe and her 350 dead in the North sea at 140ft.

Turkish caverns at 80ft (I refuse to dive in caves or penetrate wrecks (very far)).

and so on and so on and so on.

Deep diving doesn't need to be dangerous. It depends, just like any other dive, on planning your dive and diving your plan. Don't do it unless you're ready for it (build up, go slow) but don't make it bigger than it is either. I mean, 140ft is just 140ft; it's not like 140 metres or something......keep things in perpective.

R..

You're right, 30 feet is a lot safer than 100 ft, but then again you miss most of the ocean at only 30', if that is your comfort zone then enjoy:) zeN

Guess I experienced "forum anxiety".... reading too many DCS stories.

I do hope to grow in diving - purchased a Poseidon FFM which improves my comfort level tremendously. Perhaps by understanding all the stories I'll be better equiped psychologically to handle adversity. I'll proceed slowly and cautiously.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
you'll have to go deeper than 30' to get a good look at the magnificent drop offs of the Cayman Wall on the East End of Grand Cayman.

you'll have to go deeper than 30' to get the amazing photos of light streaming through the reef at Snapper Hole like sunbeams through clouds.

you'll have to go deeper than 30' to see the signature mermaid statute Amphitrite at Sunset House.

lots of good diving below 30' if/when you want to do it.

Drew
Don't forget having to dodge the sub at 100' in the chute!(sunset house) Some of those guys need to learn how to pilot...

I'll be back at S.H. for Zero G at the end of August.. SHould be some fun diving.. No Students!

bmuise once bubbled...
I am a 37 year old certified OW diver - a novice to be exact. I've been on 12 dives in two years all above 35.' I obsess about equipment and love to see fish. After reviewing all the DCS stories on this forum for several weeks now, I know one thing is certain: I will not be going below 32' for a LONG time. I mean why should I? The risks are too great. These accidents happen ALL the time. All I can say is thank god for this forum and thanks to all of you for sharing.

If your unconfortable with the "risk" then go play golf where the likllihood of injury is much higher..

There are plenty of dangers above 35 as well and in some areas probably more....

Learn more about diving and get additional training and experience.. Depth is not an absolute...

You are thinking about DCS risks deeper than 35Ft... for most new divers the deepr depth they never reach their NDL limits..
by most tables you can stay 60ft for 60 minutes., many new divers don't have enough gas to do this and have a reserve...

What about "nitrox"? From a decompression standpoint (remember alll dives are truely decompression dives) a dive to 60 feet on 50% has a lower nitrogen loading to someone diving air at 30 feet..

You have to take everything into a account to make an informed decision not just one factor..

There's something I don't understand here.

Is 35 feets deep for you all ? I regularly dive under 100 feets with air and never feel anxious about this :confused:

Back
Top Bottom