Why Don't You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brilliant. Capitated your EA Lynne.

LIke the air fill programs, but selects for spenders with disposable income...who buy other stuff.
Anytime you can get that share of the market...good move.

I always ask operators to "throw in Nitrox" when booking a trip package at the last minute, act like you are trying to decide between two places. They know they are about to make bigger money on me if they say yes and I know it does not cost them much to give it to me. Otherwise it is 12 a tank X 2 people X 3 dives X our days. really adds up.

I am making sure sure I get my money's worth out of that shop. :) If you figure that I typically fill 2 sets of doubles and 5 singles a week, it paid for itself the first month.

1. 2 hours each way to Monterey
2. No regular buddy
3. My wife doesn't dive, nor want to.

1. I live in Dallas, TX. It's at least an hour to the nearest quarry, and nothing shy of a plane ride or roadtrip to the nearest divable blue water.

2. I have two small dudes and a wife that I love to spend time with.

3. Did I mention that I'm in Dallas?

If I lived on the coast of <insert body of water here>, I would literally dive every chance that I could. I am trying to convince the wife to take it up, and getting some traction there... My two little boys play scuba in the bath tub. As soon as they are old enough, I'm getting them certified.

Work, family, time, and right now I am tankless. I know I could rent but with gas prices right now I can barely get to work

LOL

My excuse this summer.......Had a control freak landlord who had to show the house EVERY WEEKEND I booked a charter...... because there was a "prospective client, buyer, realtor, or contractor" that needed access to the house.

Drove me crazy and forced me to move out in August/ Sep which meant packing my stuff on my days off from work.(which also took away from diving)...... it stole the best of the Boston Harbor season :( So to compensate for the loss.....I bought a boat......Can't wait till SPRING :)

New address....... Waterfront ......Boston Harbor MA....boat in back........NO EXCUSES NEXT YEAR.

Lynne,

Considering that it appears that you and I started diving at about the same time and you have, what, 5+ times more dives than I??, I would have thought you would have been prohibited from posting to this thread. :D

Two major reasons that I have for not diving more: One is 3 years-old and the other is 4. And as diving with my dive buddy means getting a baby-sitter (or better locks on the closet doors), our diving this past year has been taking advantage of relatives and friends (of which we are running out of).

However, we have fooled grandma into watching the brats...I mean kids...in April as we spend 8 days in Bonaire...hoping to nearly double our diving experience with that trip alone.

Jan

All the rivers, lakes and oceans have dried up. I'm dead? I guess, I just don't know.

Busy job, wife, two kids. I can't imagine how some of you dive so much.

I have to raise my hands as one of the pathetic. I live moments from the water and awesome diving. I have a private boat. I have two dive centres that run trips out daily from two different locations - one 5 minutes from my house and one 1.5 hours from my house. I have less than 100 dives this year so far :(

I get asked all the time why I don't dive every day...after all, they say, you OWN a dive centre!

- work commitments would be the number one reason. I don't have the leisure time during the day to simply be away from the shops, crew, clients etc whenever I want to. I get to do this sometimes, but it is usually with a great deal of forward planning AND when nothing unexpected comes up. I will often have time in the middle of the day, but then it becomes an issue to find a second person for the boat (no shore diving here) who also has time off...so I guess "buddies" gets added to the mix.

- time. This is true for everyone, no doubt, but an average time commitment from me for two dives (we rarely go out for one, though in summer hubby and I often do over "lunch" - bring on summer, is all I can say) is about 5 - 7 hours...and that's if I come straight back and get into work again. If I take the time to break down the camera and wash the gear it's usually closer to 8 (and forget about it if I start to LOOK through photos LOL).

- travel. When I travel it is almost always to see family - who don't dive and don't live anywhere near diving. Or I will be down south on business and the weather was terribly uncooperative this last trip, so no diving. I don't get enough vacation time (who does?) to also do a dive trip most years. The other side to travel is when friends/family come to see us. Some dive and this is great, but most don't and so our "free" time is spent with them. Amazing how many days this actually takes up - I was surprised when I looked at it for this year.

- other life things. I have to fess up. Sometimes, I have a clear calendar and the opportunity to head out but I choose to hang out in my hammock and read a book. Or take the dogs to the beach for a leisurely stroll & romp. Or head around to a friend's for a cold beer and a chat. I don't always prioritize for diving - though most of the time I only choose this option when I have no one else to head out on our boat with and I've missed the shop's boat.

On the up side, I am off on Saturday for my first ever trip to Cocos Keeling for a week of awesome diving with a group of four mates. Then we are back here to my backyard for another week - and I fully intend to dive every day they are here! So I may break 100 dives yet :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom