Why don't split fins work so well in current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't mind going down a line. Of course, I don't carry a $4k camera with me, so I can use both hands. Personally, I would figure out how to tether that bad boy securely. I've seen too many things that get dropped accidentally. In fact, I remember my first encounter with a Jew Fish in the Gulf. My buddy had a BEC (Big Expensive Camera) and was just nosing over the edge of this sunken barge when this Jew Fish came barreling up and over. I've never seen anyone swim backwards so fast and wouldn't cha know? His BEC was sitting right there on the deck! It was a poop deck after that and I don't know if he ever got his wetsuit clean. :D :D :D Yes, he sheepishly retrieved his BEC and luckily he wasn't over an abyss when it happened.

I should probably add to my earlier post regarding boats that anchor on wrecks.....I don't have anything bad to say about operators that do this when there is no current, or little current.

Where I think it is DIW( doing it wrong) is when a diver that has surfaced is forced to swim at 100% speed in order to get to the boat. While a long tag line may help some, this means most divers will be struggling on the entire ascent....when in reality, the ascent should be relaxing and easy, with zero exertion mandated by boat location.

Clearly the behavior of the captain and boat, IS a major component of a diver planning on how they will handle current on a dive....This IS equal to or greater than fin choice and streamlining of gear.. Probably greater.

Here in Key Largo, it's very unusual for anyone to drift dive except on a small boat. There are buoys on most every wreck and it's usually not hard to use them. In fact the dive briefings usually include dire warnings about holding onto the line and more often than not: I don't. :D Call me a rebel, but I do like floating down when the current allows it.

Hot dropping on wrecks though is fun and something atavistic stirs deep inside me side as a wreck comes into view as you drift towards it.

Here in Key Largo, it's very unusual for anyone to drift dive except on a small boat. There are buoys on most every wreck and it's usually not hard to use them. In fact the dive briefings usually include dire warnings about holding onto the line and more often than not: I don't. :D Call me a rebel, but I do like floating down when the current allows it.

Hot dropping on wrecks though is fun and something atavistic stirs deep inside me side as a wreck comes into view as you drift towards it.
Your ancestors used to sink like stones? It's a wonder your generation is here. (BTW, I had to look that word up :D )

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Your ancestors used to sink like stones?
I'm glad I made you think. I was thinking more along the lines of atavistic emotions... think primordial wonder. :D

... Unfortunately, if you kick a split fin really hard, the blade just collapses......
If your legs are always cramping, you have three choices. Exercise, change your technique or go with split fins....

Yes, Doc you're right. But if you used the first split fin (I coined the name) on the market, one year before the other flat blade designs, you find out they all did it wrong. The Foil Force has a curved blade design http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shQVnMkuU5I&list=UUvhYeQ6hYptVuhgamaN717g&index=10&feature=plcp that holds it's shape, in a proper angle of attack for generating propulsion, even against the strongest kick.

Plus, the main cause of cramping is fatigue while holding your foot pointed in fins which blades extend from the end of your foot, whether they are split or not. The best solution for cramping is to take your foot out of the equation, which is what all our Force Fins do. I think I will send Dan a pair of Foil Force to end this split fin story. I told my wife years ago they really ruined a good fin design, but when have you seen mass merchandising manufacturers do the job that we, American entrepreneurs do.

Nemrod, this is kind of what I am going for with this comment....Like you, -------------------

Wow, lol, that is a lot. You can write longer posts than me ! I never give names of people or boats or shops even if they do me wrong. If it is important to you to discuss we can do it in PM and even there I am reluctant. I can check my receipts. My brain is a little scattered tonight, too many meetings today, so here goes.

We can argue/discuss this forever, I do not agree that split fins are less efficient or require necessarily more "strokes" or any of that. I also do not agree that Jets do not flutter kick decently, I think they are the all around champ. Of course long free dive fins are better/faster/more efficient as are some full foot fins. But, again, they are not all around do everything at least passably fins.

The Atomics I used, loaned as a favor from a local shop (I gave him some parts for an old regulator) were fast, efficient, frog kicked very well and did not feel like I was in low gear of a 10 speed or anything else like all of these anecdotal analogies floating around. They were excellent fins, just very expensive.

My most recent observation, yellow Jets are faster than black Jets. :wink:

Oh, I have been going down to SFla for something like 30 years, been on anchor (buoy) in various places there and including from my own boat.

Free dive fins, yes of course I have used them in the now 44 years as a diver, just not the new fiberglass or other material types that are so wonderfully long and seem perfect for WPB type diving.

Nothing against FFs but I am not paying 500 dollars for a fin even with doodads on it. I felt bad enough getting the FF Pros.

Not all diving is from a boat, barefooted, long shore walks over rocks, SoCal, gimmee my Jets or at least some open heel fins, preferably rubber.

Thanks for all the info, very useful and will keep in mind next year when I make my annual Epic 2013 SFla Expedition, all ready titled Nemrod Goes Nuts in SFla and Swims to Bimini and gets Banned From Florida for the Third Time :wink:.

N

....For open water reef diving, where huge long blades will not interfere with a tight overhead penetration, then I like the carbin fiber hybrid , very long bladed DiveR freediving fins the most, though the excellerating Force fins are a close second even here. Unlike the DiveR's, the Excellerators can be used by a diver that is not an elite level athlete, as they utilize muscles everyone uses, and dont require as much brute strength as the big stiffer carbon fiber freedive fins will.

Mr. Volker:
We agree with your observation (in an earlier post) that many dive masters and experienced scuba divers are moving away from typical “scuba fins” and have adopted the use of freedive fins. We think this trend will continue as freediving grows in popularity and more scuba divers are exposed to the long freedive fins.

However, your comment about long (carbon fiber) freedive fins being appropriate for only very strong or elite athletes is not supported by our observations. Possibly your CF fins have very stiff blades?

It is important (for us anyway) that divers understand that freedive fins can be fine tuned to match the requirements of individual divers by varying the stiffness of the blades selected.

We offer a wide selection of freedive fins.. from the very inexpensive MAKO Competition Freedive Fins, to the standard fiberglass blade sand also the extra long 85 cm blades. Our fiberglass blades can be ordered in a variety of colors and different stiffness’s which should accommodate a wide variety of divers (including the elite athletes). As you have discovered, some of the newer, high tech blades coming to market have excellent “rebound” properties and function to store and release energy during the kick cycle.

We feel that in many open water situations, a pair of well fitting, full foot freedive fins will allow most divers to move through the water more efficiently. This is a function of a well fitting (full foot) pocket that supports the entire foot, has minimal flex at the sole and therefore transfers energy to the blade with little loss. Freedivers know that performance is tied to the efficiency with which they move and good fins will extend their dive time.

Scuba divers will realize the same benefits of a relaxed and efficient kick cycle and they may also discover that many fish feel less threatened and are more approachable, if the diver is not “kicking wildly” and pumping their feet furiously in an attempt to maneuver in a moderate current. Moving efficiently through the water also tends to reduce gas consumption.

Here’s a link to our fin page:
Fins

mcffgf_blu_exp.jpg

Nothing against FFs but I am not paying 500 dollars for a fin even with doodads on it. I felt bad enough getting the FF Pros.
N
Nemrod, which model do you want for $500.00 dollars with doodads (variable thrust technology) ? Shame on you.. send back your Pro Force Fins...or sell them on ebay Force Fin commands the almost the same price as new.

Nemrod, which model do you want for $500.00 dollars with doodads (variable thrust technology) ? Shame on you.. send back your Pro Force Fins...or sell them on ebay Force Fin commands the almost the same price as new.

Oh, Bob, I love my Pros, no way you can get them back. I love the Made In USA and I love that you give them Hell. But, I think I paid like 20 bucks for my Jets 30 years ago or something like that. Got a yellow pair for like 65 bucks. Got a spare black pair also for about 50 dollars some decade or so ago. I think all of them might make a down payment on the Excellerators huh? Hey, I may buy some some day, at least for the price I can get any beautiful color I want!

If they stop making Jets in the USA and the three pair I have finally expire, though I may be like 150 years old by then, I give you a call :wink:.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom