ScubaPro Gorilla Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biotech Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone here tried the Scubapro Seawing Gorilla Fins? I currently dive with Aqua Lung Phazers and wanted to know how they would compare. I've read a lot of reviews but haven't talked to anyone that's actually used them. I got interested in them because I see a lot of divers here in Florida with them. Most of the dives I go on here in South Florida are drift dives and sometimes I need to kick into the current, which is why I stopped using my Atomic Aquatic Split Fins and switched to the Phazers. Any input from those who have dove with the Gorilla Fins is appreciated.

Yep, I have a pair . Best fins I ever used. I know several people that feel the same. But !! If you cold water dive, you might need ankle weights. Many Dry Suit divers use a heavier jet fin. Two Thumbs up is my vote.
Good Divin, Be Safe
SoCalRich

Yep, I have a pair . Best fins I ever used. I know several people that feel the same. But !! If you cold water dive, you might need ankle weights. Many Dry Suit divers use a heavier jet fin. Two Thumbs up is my vote.
Good Divin, Be Safe
SoCalRich

Thanks!

I bought them and have tried them out. They work well and do give good thrust. The foot pockets are very comfortable and the heel straps work better than other fins I’ve had.

I have pair of Gorilla size L, I also tried a pair of regular Seawing Novas for a dive and previously used Mares Avanti Quattro Avanti Plus size XL. (in all cases the smallest size that fit over my drysuit boots.)

I prefer a smaller fin as I have a small quick kick. I use these only for cold water in a dry suit.

I love my gorillas. Best cold water fin I have tried.

Flutter kick: With the smaller blade I get less effort and more speed using flutter kick on surface swims the my Mares. The non-Gorilla version with a bit more flex was even better for me on flutter kick.

Frog Kick: I get great feel from the Gorillas and in frog kick it is easy to tell where the blade is. The non-gorillas did not frog kick as well (too floppy) and the Mares Quattro were in-between the two.

Back Kick: Much easier than the Mares Quattro - again due to less flex and better feel. I didn't try back kicking in the non-gorillas

Other: very easy to get on in water foot just slides right into the stiff sided pocket and bungee stap is easy. Tougher to get off as my boot get suctioned in. Comfortable.

Last comment - for warm water I use Scubapro Go fins without boots. They are by far my favorites.

I love my gorilla's with my drysuit. Especially with the orange color. They really stand out. I didn't find the the blade to be that much stiffer compared to my standard novas
unwantedsn.jpg

My how Gorillas have changed...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTYwMFgxMjAw%2Fz%2F8d0AAOSwK4pevVrT%2F%24_62.JPG

I have them, used to love them (latest version). They are nice and stiff. Just can't propel yourself backwards in these, they just don't bend that way.

However, there was a moment when I did not have them and I tried DiveRite XTs, way, way better. Now I dive XTs all the time. The amount of power XTs can pass to propel is like twice of Gorilla, just takes a bit of time to develop the muscles. A backward kick is no problem at all too. XTs excel in everything.

If you like Gorilla for power of the kick, you owe yourself to try XTs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom