Why don't more DM's become Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I stopped my instruction before getting a DM rating. I always felt if I got my DM I would also get my Instructor rating. I know many DM's and most do nothing with the cert other than dive. Most were insured for one year and realized it was pointless as the Dive Shops don't need DM's, and there are plenty of instructors who need a foot in the door. Not all diveshops have a revolving door of DM's in training as the Denver shops I frequent. My buddy in ABQ for example worked at a dive shop for years as a DM and now is an instructor.

So if you are a DM, are you one of those non working DM's? :eyebrow:

Did you get the cert just for the training and experience?

Are you in an area where you can work as a DM?

Are you going to get your instructor cert?

Actually, it harder for a shop to get a good DM than an instructor, there is a lot of time required for both but DMs are basicly slave labor. The biggest barrier for many DMs to cross the line to become an instructor is that the agency and insurance costs are pretty high to maintain your active status. Unless you are really committed, it is hard to justify $600 - $800 a year to just call yourself an instructor.

I got cert'd 7 months ago as a DM, I am working through a smaller shop and not getting a ton of work but some, the instructor wants me to continue to instructor.

I got into DM because I enjoy diving and felt this would give me more chances to dive and I have always liked instructing so it seemed like a good fit.

You know the Denver Market and not a lot of work for DM's

Still thinking about taking that next step

Depend on the insurance agency. But 300 - 325 is in the ballpark unless covered under a shops policy. Problem with those is that most of them will not let you work as a DM independently. If I had decided I did not like teaching I would have not gone the DM route. Instead the NAUI or at the time YMCA Master Diver programs, SEI has one now, would have been a better choice as both offer instructor level knowledge (or above in the case of some instructors I've seen) without the teaching component. But at the same time I would not have had the great experiences I've had as an instructor or been able to afford some of the diving and toys being a professional has allowed me.

The other issue I see too often is the way the DM cert itself is marketed. It is not sold or promoted as a true professional rating with all the responsibilities and work that is required. It is sold as another fun, sun, now you can make money course for anyone and truth is that's a lie. DM's get the shaft quite often and are used as slaves and agencies to a degree tolerate if not actively promote this. How can you tell someone during their OW pool sessions they'd make a great DM? I've seen it done to increase egos for the sake of selling classes.

I have also seen DM's I would never use or put with students. Some can barely communicate with others yet they are DM's and what I see them doing is all the crappy work for the shops. Usually at their own expense. Some may realize they will never be instructors or know they can't afford it depending on the agency. Some don't want to teach they are happy assisting and choose to go no further. Some may have gotten in with the idea that it would be like the hype only to find out they can't get work, are not marketable to resorts, and just get pissed and say screw it after being suckered in.

I haven't done the instructor course or tests basically b/c I don't feel like instructing right now. Before we figure out a real date to move to the Islands, however, I'll go ahead and get it done about a year out and try to get through MSDT level before we move to live the dream. Too bad I will still have a real job out there :D

I just signed up for the DM Course. I will most likely never use it professionally, it just seems like the next logical step in my training after completing the Rescue Diver Course. I am retired and like it that way, but I take my diving very seriously.

I dive a lot with family members and doing everything I can to make it safer for all of is is important.

I did my DM almost a decade ago to have the qualifications to work on a boat in the USVI and never made the instructor leap because it turned out I wasn't all that jones'd up about teaching. That started shifting as I got more and more into technical diving and I thought I might enjoy teaching at that level. I may someday complete my instructor certifications, but I doubt very much that I'll ever work with new divers.

Well I think I fit all of the criteria for this thread. I've been a DM for three years. All of that but the past few months I was very active. Every year I've had to purchase insurance, and every I've lost money on the deal. For me to become an Instructor would take a significant monitary investment, and my insurance and liability would increse. As a DM I was able to "defer" questions I didn't want to answer because I disagreed with the certifying agency. As an Instructor I'd have to tow the line a whole lot more. In my area there is certainly no shortage of Instructors. Some of them are even pretty good... and many of them are friends of mine. So until I can find an agency that will let me teach the way I want to teach (and I don't see that on the horizon), I'm just gonna keep diving for me and referring students to my friends. And maybe I'll DM for them from time to time for the experience.

Back
Top Bottom