DIR- Generic Why donate your primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been told by multiple people who witnessed or were involved in an actual oog situation that the oog diver will almost always go for the reg in your mouth. And they will do it very fast and with a lot of power. Exhale fully and hold your breath, then see how long it takes before the whole breath holding thing becomes impossible.
So what happens to the diver, who gets his reg pulled out of his mouth? Does the body immediately shut the airways? What if you are breathing in at the moment it happens?

So what happens to the diver, who gets his reg pulled out of his mouth? Does the body immediately shut the airways? What if you are breathing in at the moment it happens?

I haven't (yet) been in a situation where someone grabbed the reg out of my mouth. But my hope is that if I practice donating a reg often, my body will be so accustomed to momentarily not having a reg there that wouldn't shock my body into some sort of involuntarily reaction. I'd like to believe that no matter what part of the breathing cycle I was on, I could calmly purge and put the backup reg in my mouth.

Nothing that happens to the donor is as bad as the OOA diver who hasn't had a breath for awhile. He/she is starving for air. Just give them the reg and calmly take your backup and continue breathing. Even a couple off seconds of hesitation can be disastrous to the OOA diver.

I've had my regular unexpectedly removed from my mouth while inhaling. I just stopped inhaling and went for my backup. Practicing for primary donate helps a lot.

I haven't (yet) been in a situation where someone grabbed the reg out of my mouth. But my hope is that if I practice donating a reg often, my body will be so accustomed to momentarily not having a reg there that wouldn't shock my body into some sort of involuntarily reaction. I'd like to believe that no matter what part of the breathing cycle I was on, I could calmly purge and put the backup reg in my mouth.
That's exactly how it's gone for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom